My new muskie (looking for advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hi all. So I recently acquired a youth female musk turtle! She's awful cute, and I want to take the best care of her I possibly can. She's probably 3" long, maybe 2" wide? I've got her in a smaller (10 gal) tank atm (great setup, used for hatchlings, just a temp overnight thing for her though!) and am going to either get a 25 gal or 50 gal for her asap.

Now the only type of turtle I've ever had are RES! I was wondering a good info on depth for the turtle? I know they are chiefly aquatic, and was thinking my ideal setup for her would be a 30 gallon with around 6 inches of water in a deeper end, with around 4 1/2 in other spots. She seems to like her terrace I set up for her a lot, and is very curious of the filter's waterfall, spending time under it. She also seems to love to hide under the terrace and around the fake plants.

I've got her Reptomin, and shes eaten a few of the pellets eagerly. I plan on feeding her Romaine Lettuce 3 times a week, and occasional snails.

She has a heat lamp for basking, and I read that UV lightning isn't needed for them. Is this true?

I have a heater set for 75 F , which seems to be a pleasant temp for her.

I'm just looking for any tips or suggestions! She seems very active, healthy, and friendly.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would keep it in at least a 40 long, the 55 would be better. They will bask ( my razorbacks did) so a UVB tube fixture would be good, lamp over basking area, and a haul out area. I'd forgo the romaine and feed mainly the Reptomin, dried river shrimp, and live such as snails and earthworms. Do you know what type of musk it is?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Sternotherus odoratus.

Quite a small lil gal.

Will the 10 gallon be fine for a week or two til I get paid? She seems quite happy...moving a lot. Basking, etc. If not, I can do a temp set up in a 50 gal Rubbermaid like I did for some of my larger RES. (Yes I know it's cheesy, but it's a good size.)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Should be fine as temp home.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Awesome, thank you!

I just started a new job so I have to wait for the paychecks to catch up, then I can get 'er in a nice big tank.

For a 2-4incher (Need to measure), what would be ideal? I've heard 10 gallons per inch, that true? I want it to be ideal for her. Not too big not too small. I plan on only having one turtle in this setup.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest a 40L with filtration of course. The 40 runs the same price as a 30 but is 4" higher. This is for new tanks. If you find a used with this footprint (36 x 18) go for it.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Ah neat. I'll be sure to snag her a 40L! When I have the extra cash to get her a UVB, would it be wise to? I know it's not "needed" for muskies, but would it be good to get? As I said, I want her as happy as can be.

She seems to bask around the same time daily. How deep of water would you advise? She's actually stay towards the more shallow end, which atm is only around 5 inches deep, as opposed to the 7"+ end.

Sometimes I've noticed she'll open her mouth pretty wide and keep it that way for a little bit when underwater.........Is this normal? =|

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I don't know where this don't bask info came from but they do bask, get UVB tube fixture when you can. Your planned setup sounds good giving it a choice of water depth. I would put filter on deep end and a air stone run by inexpensive air pump on shallow end. The gaping is normal. I would also suggest getting fake floating plants to her feel more secure. Also I don't feel a heater is needed for temperate climate turtle, room temp should be fine.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That makes sense. Being in New Hampshire, the local water around here really wouldn't be all that warm anyway. She seems to do the gaping when she has food near her, sort of like she wants to catch it. She seems to love basking on her terrace I got her, and is easily the most social turtle I've ever had.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
As a quick update, I am getting her new setup tomorrow, and will spend some time setting it up ust to her likings. She is a picky gal, and I know I have to make sure it is up to her standards. (I spoil her!)

Pictures will go up tomorrow night! She's even more friendly by the day and less shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.