Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve:

That's pretty good news. Its always a bit scary when your new tortoise doesn't eat.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
hehe I love watching them eat :)
Glad he is finally eating for you!!

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Mine did the same thing,took her a little over a week to get active and start eating her veggies.Once she got used to everyone and her tank and i got the temps and humidity just right[despite a 5 degree drop due to help shell rot problem we are working with]Just be careful with the strawberries if its like mine and has a sweetooth thats all it might want to eat.A real big no no.She started wanting greens really more once she was put out to graze in my back yard and went to town on all the edible organic fescue in the yard.If you can see if it likes a little grass,im sure it would love a chance to go explore a bit if its not too cold out.Just make sure if you do the area you put it in isnt treated with any lawn maintainence chemicals.Im lucky i live in a green county and its all organic eveything over here no chemical fertilizer or pesticides.My back area is small but its big to her and there is a lot of tortoise friendly edibles every where.Also take precaution and skim through some of the threads and redfoot links here and see what plants are bad for her so she dont get in to them they have pics for reference.I did a complete recon of her back area just to be safe and knew what was out there before she even went out.I will say this from personal experience if your tort was from a pet store like mine was be careful with the info they give as pamplets on the care of that animal.Alot of it conflicts with good tortoise care some of it is harmful.Talk to the members on this sight and read the threads.I am living proof it works this threads saved my redfoot.The main redfoot link on this sight is really good too a lot on nutrition and diet practices and every day care.Also from what ive seen petstore torts are fed a horrible diet very non nutritional.It might not be used to being good food.mine i was told was fed tortoise pellets dry and iceburge lettuce[not good for them].The pellets when i read the contents had grains and no real vitamins.They are setting thier animals up for failure.They advertised that mine was a cherryheaded redfoot right on the tank.Verbally told me is was a cherry.Not a cherry but a northern redfoot after a member showed me the difference.Still a red foot,i still love her.But none the less buyer beware.Enjoy the tortoise they truley are amazing critters

BlackMountain412

5 Year Member
Nice Vid! You used the iphone4 to record it huh? I hate it how the video comes out to be that size on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.