My Reptifogger died again

dwright27

5 Year Member
Put the plants in pots. Or in low enough containers she can eat it then you can take the container out and let the plant grow back. My Russian goes in cycles, she won't bother any of the plants for a long time and then one day she will demolish and devour one for no apparent reason. Even in the pots she can still destroy them. I had a bunch of plants I was going to put in the enclosures outside, forgot to bring them in and they froze solid. Opps. So they won't have as many plants this year. They'll have to wait till spring when they can go outside again.

she knocks pots over too, lol

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I personally used the Walgreens humidifier and it never failed me after years. Rigged it with a hose and worked even better than the reptifogger.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I just laid the plastic directly over the lamps. Hasn't melted yet. And unless I purposely make a little vents in there it gets to 90% humidity very quickly. This is the work in progress. I will make a frame and get the plastic up off the lamps but for now it's working fine. I don't know if you can tell but do you notice the condensation?View attachment 157073 I actually have to make it a little less humid in there now, I just leave a little part open but it still stays warm and humid. There is a mercury vapor bulb in one dome and a CHE for night in the other. And a high output bulb in a 48 inches fixture.
That looks identical to my boxie enclosure, shower curtain and all!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That looks identical to my boxie enclosure, shower curtain and all!
I have used this basic design for a Boxturtle, a Russian, and a pancake. The differences in humidity, temperature, substrate etc. dependent on the species. The stock tanks are not pretty, and they aren't very space efficient either. But they're relatively cheap, a decent size for winter, and very durable.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have used this basic design for a Boxturtle, a Russian, and a pancake. The differences in humidity, temperature, substrate etc. dependent on the species. The stock tanks are not pretty, and they aren't very space efficient either. But they're relatively cheap, a decent size for winter, and very durable.
You mentioned ed making a frame to get plastic off lights. I don't have a frame either. What I do is turn the clamp thing so it is facing straight up. That keeps the plastic from touching the dome.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You mentioned ed making a frame to get plastic off lights. I don't have a frame either. What I do is turn the clamp thing so it is facing straight up. That keeps the plastic from touching the dome.
I built a frame over the top for my Russians enclosure. I just used the lamp stands and a quick little PVC stand for the pancake enclosure.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449031636.867775.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449031674.835857.jpg
They are sleeping now but you get the idea.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can take the fan out and clean it ,it will start working again . If the fan is bad you can buy a new one off line. I take my humidifiers apart every other month and clean them .

dwright27

5 Year Member
Mike, I probably should have done that lol. The Crane humidifier should be here any day now though. And hopefully the demineralization cartridge will help keep it running smoothly

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I built a frame over the top for my Russians enclosure. I just used the lamp stands and a quick little PVC stand for the pancake enclosure.View attachment 157445View attachment 157446
They are sleeping now but you get the idea.
That works! My redfoot lives in a portable greenhouse that i purchased. But for the smaller boxies this is similar to what I do. A homemade greenhouse really....

dwright27

5 Year Member
Canada Post has screwed the pooch. I received the thermostat and the demineralization cartridge, but not the humidifier itself. It was received by Canada Post (from Amazon) on December 1 and still nothing. I put in a ticket but who knows... My poor tort, I keep spraying, but it's not enough. I dumped close to a litre of water into the warm end of the tank and it still didn't seem to help. :(

dwright27

5 Year Member
For those using a shower curtain, do you worry about gases that may be emitted from the plastic because of the heat? I put a shower curtain over the tank but now I'm worried.