My Russian tortoise just stopped eating! Help!!

Fatima

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I bought a Russian tortoise about a month ago and everything seems to be doing fine, but recently he just stopped eating. Normally he would be up at 8 am and bask for a little and goes to eat, but the past two days he barely eats in the morning and eats at night instead after having to wake him up from sleeping all day.
Today, he barely ate anything and it's very unlikely of him. I normally give him kale, shredded carrots, Spring mix, water cress, rocket and recently a few small pieces of apples as a little treat. He really enjoyed those. I give him soaks daily for 20-30 minutes almost everyday and he passes poo and urinates as normal. Since I live in the uk, I keep him indoors in a tortoise table. I used a mix of pro rep substrate especially for Russian tortoises and mixed it with coconut coir. The temp inside is around 90-100•f and just around 70 during the night. Should I bring him to the vet?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome,
Have you found the caresheet for Russians in the species Specific Section? That will help you with diet, temps humidity and substrate etc. The Beginners Mistake thread (link below) will also help you avoid the same mistakes others have made.
Can you post a picture of his enclosure so that members can suggest any improvements you could make? It could be his bulb or temps are affecting him so if you let us know what heat/uvb sources you use as well that would help too.