My Thailand Tortoise seems ill to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farid

5 Year Member
Hiii i have got this Thailand tortoise frm my relative, as they went out of town for few week so they gave him to me to take care.....from the day i brought him home his not eating n now he seems motionless (mostly his keeping his eyes closed and not moving his legs) so i am soo worried about him plz i need help.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! It would help, if we knew what kind of tortoise this is or could see pictures even. How warm are you keeping it? First thing I would do, is to give it a soak in lukewarm water. Just to where the two shells join. Soak him in warm water for like 15 minutes and see if that gets him any more active, okay?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum. Knowing what species of tortoise will help with answering your questions.

Farid

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! It would help, if we knew what kind of tortoise this is or could see pictures even. How warm are you keeping it? First thing I would do, is to give it a soak in lukewarm water. Just to where the two shells join. Soak him in warm water for like 15 minutes and see if that gets him any more active, okay?

thnx for ur reply i did as u said but whn i soak him in water he was jus trying to get out of water i think he didnt wanted to be in water...here are few pic attached ....and this pic are 2 days old DSC00136.JPGDSC00138.JPGDSC00139.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Farid

5 Year Member
dmarcus said:
Hello and welcome to the forum. Knowing what species of tortoise will help with answering your questions.

hii thnx for ur reply ...i dnt know the species but whn i searched on net thn i got to know that tortoise belong to Thailand i think so !!
i uploading some pics May be it will help u to know which species he belong ....
DSC00136.JPGDSC00139.JPG

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That is a turtle, but the species is not clicking in my mind. How do his owners keep him?

Farid

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
That is a turtle, but the species is not clicking in my mind. How do his owners keep him?

he use to keep him in a small fish jar with small amount of water (may be 1 inch filled ) right now he is not much active and his eyes are closed he is just laying like a dead man.......-(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is the water he is in warm? What did they feed him? How long have they had him?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Because this is a turtle and not one I recognize easily, I am going to advise going to a turtle site. For the life of me, I can only think of the name of one of the two I would recommend you to try, but try this one:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

Farid

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Because this is a turtle and not one I recognize easily, I am going to advise going to a turtle site. For the life of me, I can only think of the name of one of the two I would recommend you to try, but try this one:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

one more pic here got it frm web sit i have the same 1
108480-a-thai-custom-officer-shows-a-newborn-baby-mud-turtle-during-a-news-co (1).jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What about Indian roofed turtle(Pangshura tecta)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its a striped tent turtle. There isn't a care sheet on the 'net for it, but it IS a water turtle.

You need to warm it up and keep it in water. They didn't give you the turtle's container when they asked you to care for it? It should have a spot to climb out of the water, with a light shining on that area, and water that isn't too cold.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Whatever he is, he's absolutely gorgeous! Welcome to the forum!

Like Yvonne, Emysemys says, get him in a container full of water, go find a big rock, preferably a sloped one that he can climb up and make sure the top is out of the water so he can get out of the water when he wants. Shine a light on the top of the rock and use warmish water rather than cold.

I keep Caspian Water Turtles as well as my tortoises, at this time of year they are fairly sleepy as temperatures have dropped, but they still move around a fair bit during the day. As I dont know what breed this gorgeous turtle of yours is, I cant give proper advice, but I feed mine turtle food from out local pet shop and tiny pieces of raw chicken or fish.

Good Luck.

Helen x

Status
Not open for further replies.