My Three Toed Box turtle refuses to bury herself at night

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
My Three toed Box turtle disappeared from her enclosure August 2013. It turns out she was hiding and survived by hibernating through the New England Winter. I discovered her in her enclosure a couple weeks ago and I was elated.

Every morning when I change her water she is right there waiting. I have a try that I feed her, when she sits on it. She only "asks" for food every few days.

Every night I check on her and find her sitting on top of the leaves not hiding at all. So I decided to bring her inside. I have a 4 foot by 1.5 foot tub filled with leaves. She sleeps through the night quietly and when she's active in the morning I bring her outside to her enclosure.

So here's the issue: she is sleeping in the exact same spot, since she isn't hiding I have been bringing her in every night. The nights have been in the low 40's to Low 50's. My wife thinks I'm being overprotective.

Any advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't like it when my outside turtles and tortoises don't go in their houses or don't bury themselves. It leaves them open for predation. I make the rounds at night and make sure everyone is out of sight.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
She is likely doing that because it's possible she is gravid. Nearly all of my females are sleeping on top of the leaves right now until they lay their first clutch, then they start to dig down again until it's time to lay the second clutch. Who knows exactly why they do this, but it seems to be a trend this time of year

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
She might be gravid. She hasn't been with a male since 1992, but she did lay 8 eggs last year. She laid them in her indoor enclosure because I felt the night were too cold. I discovered the clutch last fall when I was cleaning out the enclosure. I was very surprised.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Can you just set her in a hide at night outside (Flower Pot, wood box on it's side, etc)? I don't live in Maine, and my temp right now is 105 degs outside, not exactly prime for boxies, but they seem to love their hide and lots of boxie pond time as well. Mine don't really dig in that much either, they all use hides, their entire enclosure is predator proof with the lid being a section of rod iron fence covered with chicken wire and 1 layer of shade cloth (because the sun is so intense here in Arizona). Most of my females laid their eggs April 21st, but I just noticed one laying eggs now (as I type).

Like you though, I think I'd bring her in until the night temps get a little warmer.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Every night I check on her, if she sleeps in a specific spot I bring her in. If she is not in that spot but only partially buried and temp will be over 55 F ( 10 C), I cover her up with some leaves.

If I bring here in she sleeps through the night quietly in her 50 gallon tote covered in leaves. About 6:00 to 7:00 AM she wakes up and crawls around in her leaves, can not miss the sound, then I bring her out. It seems to be working out for us.

Daisy’ s mom

East Bank , WV
My Three toed Box turtle disappeared from her enclosure August 2013. It turns out she was hiding and survived by hibernating through the New England Winter. I discovered her in her enclosure a couple weeks ago and I was elated.

Every morning when I change her water she is right there waiting. I have a try that I feed her, when she sits on it. She only "asks" for food every few days.

Every night I check on her and find her sitting on top of the leaves not hiding at all. So I decided to bring her inside. I have a 4 foot by 1.5 foot tub filled with leaves. She sleeps through the night quietly and when she's active in the morning I bring her outside to her enclosure.

So here's the issue: she is sleeping in the exact same spot, since she isn't hiding I have been bringing her in every night. The nights have been in the low 40's to Low 50's. My wife thinks I'm being overprotective.

Any advice?
I’m new. But I agree with you.