My tortoise ate a foot sock

B’sMama

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
I have a missing foot sock and I’m suspecting my sulcata ate the missing piece. I brought him right away to the vet and the doctor took an xray of him.

Doctor is not sure if the black image on the upper left of the screen is the missing foot sock or just gas.

HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2845.jpeg
    IMG_2845.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 1

B’sMama

Philippines
Doctor prescribed VCO and some meds for his urates ( have to eliminate the urates first) so that if it is really the missing sock on the upper left, then it may pass thru his digestive tract with ease.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Hopefully, sock will pass through on it's own (it can take a week). You can help by providing some laxatives (like opuntia cactus pads or aloe vera), high-fiber foods, an opportunity for a long walk and long warm soaks.

Maybe @zovick can tell if there is a sock on the radiograph or anything else which can be concerning. And @Yvonne G with an advice on how to push the sock down the route.

Urates can be more worrying, though - they don't appear without a reason. Probably, your tortoise lacks hydration, exercise or is on too high-protein diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you letting him roam your house floors? This is one of the exact reasons why we say to never let them roam the floors of your home. Everyone that does it eventually has something go bad with the tortoise. Stepped on, crushed in doors,impactions from all kinds of things.
Although it seems a tortoise wouldn't eat something like that, anything is possible.
Do not let him roam your floors any more and build a proper outdoor enclosure if he's at least 10 inches long or a proper indoor enclosure if he's smaller and leave him there.
Keep him hydrated and feed cucumber, iceberg, romaine, cactus, watery foods along with his normal diet to help pass it
Good luck and keep us posted.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Some mineral oil will also help if your tortoise is visibly straining. You can feed it wrapped to his treat and/or wipe outside the cloaca to lubricate the digestive track and make it less painful to pass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soak him in a tub of water daily for at least an hour. If he scrambles to get out that's even better. Scrambling helps to move everything along.