My tortoise is sad

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all… new to the group, I am after some advice, we’ve recently just rescued a 5 yr old Russian tortoise, he came in a very small viv, way to small for him, and the temp from what I learned from the old owner has been around 40 degree (which I know is way to hot) and he has been in it since he was tiny from what I understand, but I know that it is not good for him and I am in the process of building him a open enclosure with all the different substrates and rocks/plants that I hope he will enjoy, but he just doesn’t seem happy at the moment he keeps going in to the corner and scratching non stop, from me building this new enclosure would my tortoise start to become “happier” or is that just all he knows now since the previous owner has done this for such a long time? Thank you all and any advice would be appreciated as I just want to get my shelled friend back to being happy!!

Jamie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon - it's great that you have found this forum, as you will be able to get help and advice from many people who really know a lot about tortoises,and who will be very happy to help.
I just wanted to say that when a tortoise is moved into a new environment, they can take quite a while to settle, even if it is a much better place he is now in. Don't let this worry you.
Best wishes from Angie

London
Welcome from Devon - it's great that you have found this forum, as you will be able to get help and advice from many people who really know a lot about tortoises,and who will be very happy to help.
I just wanted to say that when a tortoise is moved into a new environment, they can take quite a while to settle, even if it is a much better place he is now in. Don't let this worry you.
Best wishes from Angie
Hi angie, ok well hopefully once he’s in his new enclosure this week I will start seeing some improvement in his happiness, I mean he does mooch around my house for a bit but then goes straight back to the corner of the room after 5-10 mins and scratches, will post pics of his enclosure this week 😃

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi angie, ok well hopefully once he’s in his new enclosure this week I will start seeing some improvement in his happiness, I mean he does mooch around my house for a bit but then goes straight back to the corner of the room after 5-10 mins and scratches, will post pics of his enclosure this week 😃
He should not be allowed to roam your floors. Very dangerous. We've seen it too many times a tortoise gets hurt or eats something they shouldn't because they were roaming floors
Older tortoises take a while to get adjusted to new things. Just be sure to have correct temps, light and type of bulbs, not the bad ones and give him a warm soak every other day to be sure he stays hydrated until he has adapted.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Right, please don't let him loose in your house. We have too many sad stories about that. And thanks for coming here for help! Some pictures of your tortoise would be great, and details of the enclosure you are preparing for him and his future happiness with you! We really want to help.

London
Hi and welcome! Right, please don't let him loose in your house. We have too many sad stories about that. And thanks for coming here for help! Some pictures of your tortoise would be great, and details of the enclosure you are preparing for him and his future happiness with you! We really want to help.
Will upload some pic of Michael later, he is always watched when I get him out and let him roam, and it’s only for a hour max just for a bit of exercise, thought it would be good for him? But all this advice is much appreciated and will take on board.

Yes I have the right bulbs ect, it’s just the enclosure needs to be finished and will be putting in different substrates and plants and rocks, any advice on which plants would be good or just any advice about the best suitable surroundings would be great, I know he will be so much better off and looked after with me then previous, I feel bad for him that’s all and want to give him the best life, 🙏🏻

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I have the right bulbs ect...
We only mean to help, so don't take this as argumentative, but what do you consider to be the "right" bulbs? Are you aware the most pet shops sell the wrong bulbs and give terrible advice? Vets, breeders, FB and YT all give terrible advice and repeat the same wrong info that they all learned from the same wrong sources. I only ask because I want to help you with your goal of giving him the best life possible, and most people get all the wrong info.

Where was it 40C in the enclosure? The whole enclosure was 40C? Or just directly under the basking lamp?

I'm glad you are willing to listen to the advice of not letting him roam loose. We've seen so many tragedies from that and every single person was certain it was safe and they supervised closely, until they realized, just a little too late, that is can't be made safe. It is so much better for the tortoise when people don't insist on learning this lesson the hard way. Warm weather is coming, and it would be great to have a large safe outdoor enclosure for fair weather for him to "roam" about in.

Here is all the correct care info. There is a temperate species care sheet near the bottom, and questions are welcome:

London
We only mean to help, so don't take this as argumentative, but what do you consider to be the "right" bulbs? Are you aware the most pet shops sell the wrong bulbs and give terrible advice? Vets, breeders, FB and YT all give terrible advice and repeat the same wrong info that they all learned from the same wrong sources. I only ask because I want to help you with your goal of giving him the best life possible, and most people get all the wrong info.

Where was it 40C in the enclosure? The whole enclosure was 40C? Or just directly under the basking lamp?

I'm glad you are willing to listen to the advice of not letting him roam loose. We've seen so many tragedies from that and every single person was certain it was safe and they supervised closely, until they realized, just a little too late, that is can't be made safe. It is so much better for the tortoise when people don't insist on learning this lesson the hard way. Warm weather is coming, and it would be great to have a large safe outdoor enclosure for fair weather for him to "roam" about in.

Here is all the correct care info. There is a temperate species care sheet near the bottom, and questions are welcome:
No Tom of course not I appreciate all the advice and the do’s and don't’s, like I said he is recently rescued from a previous in which he has a extremely small enclosure for his size and want the best life I can give him, so he will be in his new enclosure this week which I am confident will be more then big enough as it takes up half of one of my rooms 😂 I will check all the info you have posted to me and make sure that lighting and heat wise I am spot on, I mean I am no expert but from what he has come from I am sure he will live a much more of a happier and more spacious life.