MY TURTLE CAN'T LAY THE EGGS I NEED HELP

asuka

Location (City and/or State)
saudi
my turtle layed one egg a month ago and now she just tries to dig in the tank but can't lay eggs, it's been more than week now I tried putting soil in the tank but she'd climb out and not dig, but as soon as I put her in shallow water she dig... what can I do?! there is some puffiness in the area around her leg and im afraid it's cuz of her condition

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. I'm afraid you had her in too small of an area if it was a tank and she was big enough to have eggs. They need to be able to live in a large area, pond, with a land area they can choose a area to dig and lay.

asuka

saudi
she is in a big tank but no ground area and I live In an apartment no way I can have a pond or such so🥲💔

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, that's hard when you get a slider when in an apartment. There is no aquarium big enough unless you had it specially made.

asuka

saudi
yeah, but now what should I do? is there something that I can do to help her lay the eggs?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nothing I know of. Was she kept with a male? If not they likely aren't fertile anyway.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I know turtles are not tortoises so this may or may not be helpful…My tortoise was “egg-bound” a number of years ago. She stopped eating and was not herself after laying 1 egg. I tried everything- nest box, warm temperature of the dirt to dig in, etc but no luck. I took her to a vet familiar with exotics. An x-Ray showed she had 2 more eggs in her. (One was very big and unusual shape and maybe was the issue?) He injected her with the hormone oxytocin to help induce her. She successfully laid the 2 eggs in a few days.

I guess my advice is consult a ‘knowledgeable about turtles’ veterinary office if you feel she is looking like she’s is in trouble health-wise.
Best of luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know turtles are not tortoises so this may or may not be helpful…My tortoise was “egg-bound” a number of years ago. She stopped eating and was not herself after laying 1 egg. I tried everything- nest box, warm temperature of the dirt to dig in, etc but no luck. I took her to a vet familiar with exotics. An x-Ray showed she had 2 more eggs in her. (One was very big and unusual shape and maybe was the issue?) He injected her with the hormone oxytocin to help induce her. She successfully laid the 2 eggs in a few days.

I guess my advice is consult a ‘knowledgeable about turtles’ veterinary office if you feel she is looking like she’s is in trouble health-wise.
Best of luck!
The turtle already died.
Sorry, I miss read the post above and thought the turtle didn't make it.

Last edited:

asuka

saudi

Best of luck!
I wish to but there are no turtles vet where I live I have to do something on my own but so thankful for you🙏🏻

asuka

saudi
Nothing I know of. Was she kept with a male? If not they likely aren't fertile anyway.
yeah she didn't mate with a male but they have to get out one way or another or it will be fatal for her💔

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
The turtle already died.
The turtle already died.
Oh, so sorry.
I wish to but there are no turtles vet where I live I have to do something on my own but so thankful for you🙏🏻
best of luck!
One other suggestion- increase the calcium in her diet. I was told that forming all the shells can deplete their calcium levels and was advised to increase her calcium (cuttlefish bone works for torts IDK about turtles) there is also the powder supplements.
🤞🏼🤞🏼I hope things move along for her passing any more eggs she may have to still lay.

asuka

saudi
Oh, so sorry.

best of luck!
One other suggestion- increase the calcium in her diet. I was told that forming all the shells can deplete their calcium levels and was advised to increase her calcium (cuttlefish bone works for torts IDK about turtles) there is also the powder supplements.
🤞🏼🤞🏼I hope things move along for her passing any more eggs she may have to still lay.
thank u so much will do that🙏🏻🙏💗

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
what turtle??
Sorry, I miss read your second post I believe it was. I thought you had said it didn't make it. Now I see you said it didn't mate.
So yes, it does need to see a vet. If that's not possible then you have to get it properly set up with water it can get to and land that's 12 inches deep with dirt. If you can't provide this, is there a rescue in your area for turtles and tortoises that you can take it too?
It will die if it can't pass them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try taking her on a car ride. It did help my leopard when she was having a hard time. Not sure it works on turtles or not.

asuka

saudi
Sorry, I miss read your second post I believe it was. I thought you had said it didn't make it. Now I see you said it didn't mate.
So yes, it does need to see a vet. If that's not possible then you have to get it properly set up with water it can get to and land that's 12 inches deep with dirt. If you can't provide this, is there a rescue in your area for turtles and tortoises that you can take it too?
It will die if it can't pass them.
I'm afraid I can't provide her that set up and I don't believe there is a rescue habitat in here. ppl here tend to pet cats and dogs more, I'll see If there's a way to do an x-ray first to be sure that the eggs are in there and then will Try to search for some experts while giving here some vitamins and calcium

asuka

saudi
Try taking her on a car ride. It did help my leopard when she was having a hard time. Not sure it works on turtles or not.
you know that might actually work cuz the first egg she layed it while we were traveling by car, I really appreciate your help🙏🏻✨