Naive breeding question

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
[

Euthanizing animals to advance and increase knowledge, etc., is an accepted practice in scientific research, unfortunately.

I am somewhat out of touch with the scientific community these days, but do believe less of it is being done today than in the past, but I am sure it is still probably kept pretty quiet due to its unpopularity, so it's hard to say with any certainty.
Your answer gives me calmness given what we're doing to humans today. Thanks Zovick, you are wise beyond your years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it possible to determine sex by blood test even in New baby torts?
In theory, yes. In current practice, no. I had not heard of the study that @Zovic cited, but I have heard vague rumblings of more current research happening now. We've been able to DNA sex birds for many years at this point. I think its only a matter of time until someone figures out how to do it for torts. I hope so anyway.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Bill, I am not sure if these are the same tests I recall, as I forget what species was involved. I do recall a specific statement in the paper that testing was only useable on hatchlings because the hormonal signal being tested was temporary (having to do with the TSD process?)

I will see if I can find the article again…

Steve, was this it?

83-177 days for the hormone to be present seems like a big enough window if the tests could be coordinated after hatching. The the length of time that this hormone is present at measurable levels is probably species dependent. Somebody need to connected with Boris Tezak and see if he can test some tortoises.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Steve, was this it?

83-177 days for the hormone to be present seems like a big enough window if the tests could be coordinated after hatching. The the length of time that this hormone is present at measurable levels is probably species dependent. Somebody need to connected with Boris Tezak and see if he can test some tortoises.

Yes that’s the one! Thanks!