Natural dewormer for greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshewett

5 Year Member
What is the best natural dewormer for Greek. Tortoises specifically North African Moroccan ones. I suspect my boy has worms but has never been to a vet or been wormed in his life so don't really want to start giving him manufactured drugs or anything not natural as he lives outside all the time apart from hibernation and only eats natural foods ie grass clovers and basic salad stuff including chicory ( even though its shop bought I can't find the other stuff in the uk) I have read that pumpkin or squash is a natural dewormer. He is due into hibernation in a few weeks so think its better to rid of the pests before he sleeps.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
I agree 100% on natural deworming. I have yet to find a substance that kills worms off.... I have been researching this just in case and am very curious if there is one. I have personally seen too many tortoises have a shortened life due to the toxins that the dewormer entails and don't like what is has done to my torts, even the smallest of doses...

I also would keep him indoors and not let him hibernate this season to be safe. That can be very dangerous to him do I believe.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Pumpkin and squash have lots of fiber and are readily eaten. So their bulk is going to encourage pooping.But ground up pumpkin seeds are a good dewormer. Grind to a paste and mix with salad greens or mazuri or some other treat food. Encourage pooping in a soak or remove it from the enclosure quickly to get rid of any live parasites and eggs.

sshewett

5 Year Member
I've just been informed that tortoises don't get worms ???? Also does the squash need to be cooked I have butternut regularly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
sshewett said:
I've just been informed that tortoises don't get worms ???? Also does the squash need to be cooked I have butternut regularly.

I believe you have been informed wrong. They do get worms and other parasites. At least according to most members and some if not a lot of them have actually had to treat for them. Who told you that they didn't?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There is no such thing as a "natural" de-wormer........A healthy Tortoise will have a healthy immune system, and that is all the animal needs to cycle out Parasites......

sshewett

5 Year Member
Wellington it was a vet who told me lol

So if he is healthy and worms are being cycled out I need do nothing us that right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
sshewett said:
Wellington it was a vet who told me lol

So if he is healthy and worms are being cycled out I need do nothing us that right.

I would be very cautious if you ever have to take your tort to that vet:(

sshewett

5 Year Member
wellington said:

I didn't take him to the vet he seems fine in himself. I just asked a friend who is a vet

ginger13

5 Year Member
sshewett said:
wellington said:

I didn't take him to the vet he seems fine in himself. I just asked a friend who is a vet

Did your friend say tortoises don't get any worms, or just a certain type?

sshewett

5 Year Member
She said they just don't get worms ??? I just saw a few around where his urates were but he lives outside so may not have been from him just wiggly worms from the ground just very small thin ones yuck!!!!!!!

sshewett

5 Year Member
Just spoke to our local reptile shop who advised that if a tortoises healthy then they will expel the worms themselves so to do nothing and to only worm the tortoise if its been wormed from a young age. So as Ben is 45 ish and never been wormed and seems healthy in every other way I'm just to leave him be and let him do his thing. Just thought I'd let you all know. 😊

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
That is very strange - I know for a fact that tortoises DO get worms. A healthy tortoise with a good immune system and good food will be able to keep the worms at a manageable load, BUT it is not recommended to hibernate them if they have worms. Better to treat first, or the worm population can increase exponentially and that can kill the tort.

I am currently rehabilitating a Russian tort that is so badly infested with worms that we did use a chemical dewormer (fenbendazole). It is safe for tortoises as long as you make sure they get plenty of water, but you should work with a vet to ensure proper dosage. Mo has worms so badly that even 5 days after deworming, he is still pooping out big clumps of dead worms every time he goes.

I would say, if your tortoise has enough worms that you can see them with the naked eye, there are many more in his gut. I'd recommend bringing a fecal sample to a reputable reptile vet, and have them do a parasite screen. This is usually fairly inexpensive (about $20), and absolutely worth it!

"Natural" dewormers like pumpkin seeds are good for helping PREVENT worms, but once a tort HAS worms, they are not enough to get rid of them.

I hope this helps!

sshewett said:

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
ALL wild tortoise have worms, and their "wormy" captive counterparts that are well-kept hibernate without problems. Worms do not breed during hibernation, so they don't became dangerous.
Also, deworming before hibernation may account for many "mysterious deaths" in hibernation- or even attributed to hibernation itself. I rather think that an animal already weakened by poor husbandry and heavy wormload receives a final hit from the dewormer toxicity.
It is adviced to let at least 2 months for all the remains of the dewormer to be metabolised/eliminated. Treat tortoise too soon before hibernation, and the potentially toxic remnant compounds will not be completely neutralised, and will poison the tortoise.

Such a heavy infestation as Mo supported is not found in the wild, only very stressed, wrong fed tortoises can reach that pittyful state...
Mines ALL have worms, but they were visible only in new arrived ones, from ugly conditions. Once acclimated and relaxed in my care, well fed, the worms were never observed in their faeces. They are surely still there, but very reduced in numbers and not generating health issues. Outdoor keeping, weeds and limestone powder, that's all and enough.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yes, I agree that IF a dewormer will be used, it should be used about 90 days before hibernation - to allow all the chemicals to pass through. This also allows for the extra soaking that is necessary to ensure that the tortoise drinks enough to metabolize the extra protein load in their gut as dead worms pass through (otherwise the kidneys become stressed from the meds + worms).

Mo is the 3rd tortoise I've rescued from horrible conditions. He was being kept in cedar shavings, being fed nothing but romaine, and had no UV or heat light. I have no doubt he is stressed. His activity level has increased so much since giving him good lighting and good leafy greens from my garden. I chose to treat him for his worms because he has SO MANY. I am not going to risk hibernating him this year.

CactusVinnie said:
ALL wild tortoise have worms, and their "wormy" captive counterparts that are well-kept hibernate without problems. Worms do not breed during hibernation, so they don't became dangerous.
Also, deworming before hibernation may account for many "mysterious deaths" in hibernation- or even attributed to hibernation itself. I rather think that an animal already weakened by poor husbandry and heavy wormload receives a final hit from the dewormer toxicity.
It is adviced to let at least 2 months for all the remains of the dewormer to be metabolised/eliminated. Treat tortoise too soon before hibernation, and the potentially toxic remnant compounds will not be completely neutralised, and will poison the tortoise.

Such a heavy infestation as Mo supported is not found in the wild, only very stressed, wrong fed tortoises can reach that pittyful state...
Mines ALL have worms, but they were visible only in new arrived ones, from ugly conditions. Once acclimated and relaxed in my care, well fed, the worms were never observed in their faeces. They are surely still there, but very reduced in numbers and not generating health issues. Outdoor keeping, weeds and limestone powder, that's all and enough.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Yeah, no wonder that poor being was so infested... and indeed risky hibernating now, getting strong first.
Good job you did saving those tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.