Need advice, SNAKE people!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My daughter has recently become interested in a rosy boa.

She's been asking for a snake for a few years now and I thought maybe it was a phase she'd outgrow but she's still very keen on the idea.

Her dedication to the torts have really impressed me, so I'm considering allowing her to get a snake.

So I have some questions. Are rosy boas a good choice for a beginner? Are they a smaller species? What would be the best option for us if we were looking for a smaller species?

We have a pretty nice setup for our redfoots so we are more than willing to setup an exceptional setup for a snake.

Any suggestions would be great! :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Rosy boas, from what I hear, are great snakes. I've never had one myself, but have learned that they are small and gentle and easy to care for. I imagine it would be a great choice.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are a great snake . They stay on the smaller side . As adults they only get to 36"/48 " . It is rare to see one 48" most stay around 36" . My favorite snake is the ball python .

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I'm partial to ball pythons and Burmese pythons, but rosy boas are great, too. Some things I would suggest are finding a vet that knows snakes very well (I'm assuming you have a tort vet, most likely they know snakes as well), and do a bunch of research on them. I've heard people say that snakes don't need UVB/UVA bulbs like turtles and torts do, but I've always been cautious and gone with a UV bulb anyway. Have you heard about the mercury vapor bulbs? They produce both UVA and UVB plus basking heat. I would suggest one of those. Also, make sure you and/or your daughter are okay feeding mice/rats to your possible future snake. Some smaller species do eat bugs and fish, but boas eat mammals and smaller-than-them snakes and amphibians. It's one thing to feed worms and bugs, quite another to feed a soft fluffy cutie-pie. Sometimes people don't really 'understand' that completely until their first feeding time.
I always promote and suggest feeding frozen/thawed over live food. Live mice can hurt your snake while fighting for their life, and rats are even more dangerous and have a good chance of hurting your snake. If your snake gets bit, rat bite fever is a possibility, infection, scars, the snake could even loose an eye and/or a nice chunk of flesh. Plus, watching your snake slowly crush their prey can be pretty....traumatizing to some. So I always promote frozen/thaw food over live.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I have in the past raised Rosy Boas.
They grew up and reproduced producing young that grew up with no UVA/UVB lighting. They are a good first snake IMHO. There are albinos if that grabs you. Not for thanks. I like the Mexican ones.(trivirgata)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rosy Boas are a great starter snake. Very mild mannered. Make sure you get a an older one and not a newborn. They can sometimes be tough to get started eating. I like corn and king snakes for beginners too.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Thank you @Tom, yes, my daughters other choice was a High White California King Snake. I'm trying to set up an enclosure and I'm reading paper towel, and pine chips for substrate? I want to create something more natural, would dry coir and orchid bark mix be suitable?