need help/advice from other AZ sulcata "parents"

TortMama

Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek Arizona
We picked up 2 sulcata hatchlings on Wednesday from someone selling them on facebook.
Did some research before ... now doing TONS of research and am feeling lost! We bought supplies for a turtle table tonight ... I was super excited and then read a thread how its so hard to keep humidity up ... right now I have them in their temporary home in the garage because its much warmer in there then the house (but not too warm) we bring them outside during the day in my garden box (for just a bit) which I am going to convert to an outdoor play area for them.

The girl that I got them from said she doesn't use any source of heat because they didn't need it ... I have since read other wise. She also used rabbit litter & just fed them romaine ... which again I have now read other wise.

Sorry for the ramblings ... I guess I am needing help specifically from AZ dwellers ... Can we keep them outside in their turtle table because it is always warm here (or is it too warm right now) if there were some sort of wire top to keep away predators? What do you do? What is your best luck in keeping humidity up.

Thank you so much if you have read this far!!! I really just want to care for these babies properly <3

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . #1 you have hatchling s the first year is the most diff a cult they are just baby's they need sun and daily soaks and food cut small so I would keep them in the house most of the day not all day . When they get bigger it's to cold in the winter in AZ for them without some help. . But they are worth the time and work .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry you are feeling overwhelmed! We are located in Phoenix and have a temporary pen we would put them out in for the morning only so they don't bake. It's a wooden zoomed I believe with a house on one side and wire on the other so our beloved owls or hawks don't swoop them up. It looks like an A frame. We would feed out there as well as inside. Once they were outside catching some rays for a while they came inside for a soak and back in their aquarium. They must have a heat source and water they can get to. The heat helps with their digestion while obviously they need to stay hydrated. We have made many adjustments to our care thanks to this forum. I am very thankful you found it early. If you would read @Tom threads our goal has been to model his night boxes and care. Our big girl is much happier with the guidance here.

If I can help in any way please just let me know and I will do my best!

Katie ;)

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
The best advice I can give you is go into the specific species section of this thread and find the Sulcata section. Pinned at the top of the page is a thread called "how to raise a healthy Sulcata 2.0". That topic has everything you need to know an was written by the member named Tom who lives in PhX AZ. He is probably the most experienced person on this website when it comes to Sulcatas so you can take what he says to the bank. Go read, he even shows you how to build a table for hatchlings.