Need help idenifying turtle

Kourtnee

My fiancé found this little turtle over a year ago. He was at a job and while on break found a bucket in the woods with this little turtle in it. He originally thought the turtle was dead because he was very dry and not moving. He pours a little water in the bucket and the turtle began to move. He noticed that one of the turtle's front claws was completely gone. Not sure if this is an old injury or birth defect. We've had him for over a year now and he hasn't grow but is living with out red eared sliders and seems to be doing fine. He eats turtle pellets and fish. He couldn't swim at first but after a while he is now a great swimmer. He climbs in and out of the water and basks. I've taken him to pet stores and no one was able to help us. Any suggestions or advice is welcomed. I am a dog person, so turtles are a little foreign to me.

Lt Dan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LaRue

Here we call them mud turtles. They live in water in the canals. They don't get big maybe 5 or 6 inches. I'm sure someone will post a better name for him. And care guide. I think they like veggatation, but will eat anything.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
If you could add top (carapace) and underside (plastron) photos, we'll be able to narrow down the type of turtle you have.

My vote is a stinkpot musk.

Kourtnee

I"ll get some more pics of him/her and post. I always refer to him as a boy. We were thinking Mud turtle but we're sure.

Berkeley

Common Musk (Sternotherus odoratus), as Yelloweyed said, is a good guess.

Another option would be a Mississippi Mud (Kinosternon subrubrum hippocrepis).

As mentioned, a plastron photo would tell us definitively.

Glad the little turtle has perked up.
--Berkeley