Need Help Identifying Tortise/Turtle.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Good rescue!

Think of a forest floor or a rich garden bed when you think of a turtle habitat. She should be outdoors for much of the year. You don't want to let her hibernate the first year, or any year her health has been compromised.

A leaf pile is good. it provides a hide, enriches the substrate, & outdoors provides a good hunting ground. Soil really is a good substrate. Indoors I like compost with a bit of coconut coir, but top soil can work.

The water dish should be big enough for her to fit into, with water available 24/7.

TSTAN

Hello, Tstan, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Donatello.
Lovely turtle, though a bit battered looking in places, still looks nice.
Have a look at the enclosures section here for lots of good ideas.
You can get the terracotta saucers at DIY stores, home improvement centres, garden centres and so on.
They are very cheap.

Thank you sir, will do!

TSTAN

Good rescue!

Think of a forest floor or a rich garden bed when you think of a turtle habitat. She should be outdoors for much of the year. You don't want to let her hibernate the first year, or any year her health has been compromised.

A leaf pile is good. it provides a hide, enriches the substrate, & outdoors provides a good hunting ground. Soil really is a good substrate. Indoors I like compost with a bit of coconut coir, but top soil can work.

The water dish should be big enough for her to fit into, with water available 24/7.

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I will mix some of the top soil i have with some of the sphagnum moss suggested by someone else above and get the best of both worlds?

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I love to see someone show compassion and rescue an animal. You've gotten top flight advice already on great care for your boxy.
Nature can be cruel and brutal - but us humans have exceeded that in deliberate torment of fellow creatures.
Good fortune with this little survivor.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I will mix some of the top soil i have with some of the sphagnum moss suggested by someone else above and get the best of both worlds?

As long as the soil hasn't been treated with any pesticides or fertilizers or the like, it should be safe to use. If you buy bagged soil, make sure it says pesticide free and doesn't have any of those colored balls added to it. Those are either toxic or dangerous to turtles. Having the sphagnum moss hydrated (rinse out a few times with water until it runs clear, then hydrate for use) in a hide will make the hide a 'humid hide' which is a good idea. Check it daily to make sure it hasn't dried out. The moss I have in the hides in my outdoor enclosure tend to need rehydrating daily because of the heat. So I check it once in the morning (usually still good), once in the afternoon (this is usually when it needs rehydration), and once in the evening (usually still good) just to make sure the heat hasn't sapped all the moisture out and if so, I can hose it down.
Peat moss is relatively cheap at places like Home Depot, lowe's, etc. Coco fiber bricks are usually available at pet stores. Both need to be fully hydrated before spreading in the enclosure. Not so moist that when you squeeze water comes out, but a little moist to the touch and visible moist-ness...ess....

TSTAN

As long as the soil hasn't been treated with any pesticides or fertilizers or the like, it should be safe to use. If you buy bagged soil, make sure it says pesticide free and doesn't have any of those colored balls added to it. Those are either toxic or dangerous to turtles. Having the sphagnum moss hydrated (rinse out a few times with water until it runs clear, then hydrate for use) in a hide will make the hide a 'humid hide' which is a good idea. Check it daily to make sure it hasn't dried out. The moss I have in the hides in my outdoor enclosure tend to need rehydrating daily because of the heat. So I check it once in the morning (usually still good), once in the afternoon (this is usually when it needs rehydration), and once in the evening (usually still good) just to make sure the heat hasn't sapped all the moisture out and if so, I can hose it down.
Peat moss is relatively cheap at places like Home Depot, lowe's, etc. Coco fiber bricks are usually available at pet stores. Both need to be fully hydrated before spreading in the enclosure. Not so moist that when you squeeze water comes out, but a little moist to the touch and visible moist-ness...ess....

I went ahead and got some of the sphagnum moss in a brick from petsmart, rex something I think it is called. I also got a 14 inch diameter terra cota plant saucer, which he spent about 2 hours in in the morning :)). I also fed him a nightcrawler, a cricket, a half of a strawberry, some romaine lettuce, and a dandelion, which he ate all of!
I would like to build him a hide of sorts, but am unsure what to use. I read somewhere not to use the ones from the pet store, so I have avoided those.

Alaskamike

South Florida
One of the simplest hides to make is to look for a plastic container the right size, take off the lid, invert it on the soil and cut an opening the right size for the tortoise to go in. The sides are straight up, so it does not cause a potential flip hazard, and holds a bit of humidity. You can get one at a dollar store.

TSTAN

One of the simplest hides to make is to look for a plastic container the right size, take off the lid, invert it on the soil and cut an opening the right size for the tortoise to go in. The sides are straight up, so it does not cause a potential flip hazard, and holds a bit of humidity. You can get one at a dollar store.

Awesome, thank you kindly!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I went ahead and got some of the sphagnum moss in a brick from petsmart, rex something I think it is called. I also got a 14 inch diameter terra cota plant saucer, which he spent about 2 hours in in the morning :)). I also fed him a nightcrawler, a cricket, a half of a strawberry, some romaine lettuce, and a dandelion, which he ate all of!
I would like to build him a hide of sorts, but am unsure what to use. I read somewhere not to use the ones from the pet store, so I have avoided those.
Romaine lettuce is okay once in a while, but not as a staple. Red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, collard greens are good as staples.