need help! (turtle has eyes closed)

yellowearslider

my yellow ear slider for about a week stay only in a place in aquarium who is high and without water and dont move so much....the eyes are 90 % closed and moves only when i feed ...i thing is sick or anything is going wrong pls help me im really worried :mad:@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
@SarahChelonoidis is asking the right Questions. I tried to raise slider when very young and they need much more than a pet store will sell with it.
A few tweaks to care make a huge difference

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your turtle needs to be in a container deep enough that it can swim. The water should be around 75F degrees. There should be a landing area where he can climb out of the water, and you need a light positioned over the landing area so he can sit there and warm up. Here is a link to a fairly generic care sheet for water turtles:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm

yellowearslider

i keep my torutle as you see in my profile picture in this plate ....im keeping about 2 months in my own room on a table which is notmal light during the day...only food i can find is dried worms in pet shop and i feed once a day ....a change water once a day and i try to keep it clean the ''aquarium'' ......my slider it was keep it so much bad before im trying to do my best and need some advices !!!

DerpyRedFoot

California
Try to get some heating for the turtle. I would recommend a glass tank, with a heater in the water, a basking area, a filter, and higher water level for the turtle to swim, and he should do much better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You change your water once a day. Do you use chlorine drops? (To remove chlorine)
It's possible that you have heavily chlorinated tap water.
I agree that the container that you are using now will have to be replaced very soon. It is not adequate.

yellowearslider

you are saying to have a aquarium with filters and bigger than this ''plate'' .....i will buy one hope it was helpful :mad:

DerpyRedFoot

California
If you want to purchase a very simple tank, shouldn't cost you more than $100 for all the supplies you need for the turtle.
- 20 gallon, at petco you can a dollar per gallon deal. $20
- UVA and UVB should cost about $40
- Basking Dock $15
- Filter $20
- Decor (If needed)
- Heater(Not needed by highly recommended) $20

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that enclosure you have been using is referred to in our community as a "death bowl."

I'm very happy you have found this community. But, perhaps next time you might do a little more research before purchasing an animal to ensure you don't get a late start on interventions like this little turtle might need.

Also, the common name is yellow-bellied slider, Tracemys scripta scripta. They are the same species as the famed red eared slider. They are very common and pretty hardy, but don't make the best pets long term. Another good reason to research.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You've come to the right place for information, and it's great you did so.
if you follow the advice given to you, hopefully your turtle will recover.