Needing advice on RF tortoise

ldmiller

I am new to the tortoise world & just recently got my first Sweet little RedFoot from a family that was moving & couldn't take her. They told me it was a 5/6 yr old male, but after I seen it & realized its tail & anal scute was much smaller, I'm pretty sure it's a female (now named Daisy) I am concerned about her size, she is 6inches & weighs 1lb. Is that normal for that age? When we picked her up, the owners told me they had her for almost two years & never fed her any protein what so ever. She was only given a diet of raspberries & romain. She had no heating at all in the tank she was in other then a small aquarium light. The water dish they had for her was more like a small feeding dish, more like for baby turtles. She is now in a 6ftx3ft enclosure with cypress & coconut substrate, total temp of 80 degrees with a basking area of 90 degrees. I have a new-slanted painting pan for her to soak in & change her water daily & mist her several times a day. (She spent her first two days with us in her new water pan almost constant!) she had very watery eyes when she first got here, so bad that it looked like she crying & blowing tiny bubbles from her eyes. That has now stopped & I have used zoo meds eye drops once a week. I have ordered a humidity gage that should be here shortly, so I'm not sure what the humidity is at the moment, but I have foil over the top to help keep the moisture & warmth in & have moss to help with the humidity. I mist her & her surroundings with water several times a day & also with Zilla tropical mist spray once a day. Am I doing everything right for her? I feed her a different meal everyday, mixed fruit one day & fresh veggies mixed with (a protein) like shredded white meat chicken or worms the next. I sprinkle Flunkers tortoise diet over every meal. She has a cuttle bone, that I have seen her eat on. She is eating Very well & isn't shy about it ;)) she's soaking & drinking on her own & really loves when it's misting time. Is there anything I'm Not doing or not doing right for my sweet little Daisy? Please any advice would be so appreciated as I feel like maybe she wasn't cared for as good as she should have been before, and I wonder if she is small for her age or is her size normal? Should I give her supplement or something a little extra? I love this sweet animal & want to do everything she needs & deserves!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello, welcome and congratulations on improving life for this tort. I am not an expert on this species, so I won't offer advice, but it seems that you have done a lot right to me :)

If you post pictures of your enclosure and lighting it will help those that do know to help you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

You could read different threads as well as care sheets to help you deal with your tortoise.

Meanwhile, some pics would also be useful. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at the Tortoise Library . There's a very good section on RF tortoises there.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Show us some pics of your tort and set up. That's the best way for us to help you. It sounds like you are on the right track though.