Neglected/Abused Tortoises…help!

Missmary

I was recently at a local flea market where I came across an exotic pet dealer. As a tortoise owner, I naturally checked him out. I did not expect to be pleased or to agree with what I saw but this in man in particular horrified me. The conditions in which he kept his tortoises (there were many…and many different species) were unspeakable: Poor to no lighting/heat, way too small enclosures, too many tortoises in a single enclosure, disgusting water/living conditions, you name it. While I know the likelihood of shutting him down or getting him in any kind of major trouble is slim to none, I was wondering if there was still anyone I can report him to in hopes to at least make some waves for him. I have never reported animal neglect/abuse for tortoises before so I am not sure that it is the same as dogs/cats. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi. I think you need to let the forum know where you live , state. So they can help you. If there is anything that can be done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you take animals to things like flea markets, you have to take them in the smallest and easiest containers to handle, and most outdoor markets don't have access to electricity. They are probably kept in better conditions at home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with both above. Where are you located? Was it an outdoor flea market? If so, they were getting heat and uvb if it were sunny. If indoor then they were probably warm enough for the time they were going to be there. If you still think that they were being neglected, then call your locale animal shelter and ask them if they can help or point you in he right direction.