spider tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I've been reading about spider tortoises lately when I have the chance. I have obtained a few books about Madagascar wildlife and read online articles. Many people keep spider tortoises in humid conditions. I read there is a subspecies that lives in dry environments and is known to be found in the same habitat as Radiated tortoises. Are the spider tortoises in this region primarily active during the rainy season and perhaps less active during the dry season?

Can anyone tell me if there is a subspecies that can be kept in dry conditions?

What does everyone feed their spider tortoises?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have done a lot of reading and research on Pyxis tortoises. The best resource we have found on them is Miguel Pedrono's book The Tortoises and Turtles of Madagascar. He describes where the 3 subspecies are located. He says "P arachnoides inhabits the dry coastal forests of southern Madagascar". He goes on to describe how they have adapted to withstand very harsh conditions. Additionally, their activity level is closely related to seasonal rainfall. Being an island, I am sure even in the "dry" times the relative humidity is rather high. In looking at what information I could quickly find at www.Wunderground.com the most current humidity ranged from 69-94%.

We offer our adults a variety of conditions. Half of their enclosure is humid with daily misting and the other half is dry. They seem to spend time on both sides but possibly more on the dry end. During the winter, they are very inactive and congregate to the dry side. We also turn off the daily rain during the winter. Several other successful keepers we have talked to try to keep the humidity up as well.

As for foods, we offer ours a variety of greens. In the summer they eat a variety of broadleafs and flowers that we grow outside. In the winter, they are fed dark greens and spring mix, however they only eat several times a week or less. The males seem to be less active in the winter. They also love fruits and mushrooms. They are offered a variety of fruits and veggies with their greens, along with mushrooms. They also love Mazuri.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Tim/Robin said:
We have done a lot of reading and research on Pyxis tortoises. The best resource we have found on them is Miguel Pedrono's book The Tortoises and Turtles of Madagascar.

Thanks Tim & Robin for the info! I ordered this book but I accidentally picked seamail which can take up to 6 months! I tried to email the company to change the method of shipment and they said it was already too late! Spider torts are so neat. The shell pattern is what I used to like most, but now I think it's their big curious eyes. Tim and Robin your group of Pyxis make us all drool!

Status
Not open for further replies.