New 3 toed - Overgrown beak. (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
We just ended up with a boxie that my sister-in-law's friend couldn't keep. Let's just say he had a few husbandry issues. He was living in a 10 or 15 gallon aquarium, no UVB light (though I think he went outside for a walk occasionally), as far as I know no heat lamp, and with just enough peat moss to cover the bottom of the cage, with nowhere to hide. The guy told her they fed him frozen vegetables, and I am getting the feeling that is ALL the poor guy got. All things considered, the little guy is in surprisingly good shape. My sister-in-law kept him for a week or two, and said he wasn't eating much, and I can't blame him...

First off, it IS a "him," right??
0617002151a.jpg

Here are a couple crappy shots of his new home, needs some tweaking.
0617002150.jpg

0617002151.jpg

He has an overgrown beak, I'm no expert but it looks bad to me... How bad is it really? This is my first box. Gonna spend tomorrow calling vets and finding someone who has dealt with it before... Would it be affecting his eating?
0617002152a.jpg

0617002152b.jpg

0617002153.jpg

Does it look like he could wear it away with cuttlebone, or is veterinary intervention in order?

Any advice would be welcome... I have a leopard tortoise, a tegu, and a blue tongue skink (among others), so he will have a wide variety of food to choose from.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm happy to hear you're going to provide her a decent home! Her beak isn't too bad... shouldn't affect her eating unless it gets worse.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I agree, it's not that bad. If you can hold it's head you can gently use a nail file on it to wear it down.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
HE looks like a male Three Toed. Low light, high warm humidity, places to hide and a large water dish to soak. Three Toeds love the water and like to sit in it to soak, so provide a large enough dish for him to sit in. Outside enclosure is best. You should put his food on a piece of slate or a flat stone to help with his beak. Also put in a few cuttle bones that will help too. He's a beautiful boxie and I'm glad you have him now.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He is (and yes I agree, he is a "he") absolutely gorgeous!!!

I have Three Toeds too, and they are outside, in a very damp, shady, well planted enclosure, and they are happy as clams :)

I also agree that his beak is not THAT bad. Some tough foods to chew on and a piece of slate to eat off of should take care of it in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.