Overgrown beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
What's the best way to trim a beak down? Or the easiest way, I just got a Russian tortoise today that I rescued from a lady that had no idea what she was doing and te beak is overgrown just wondering if there was anyway for me to help him trim it

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
I wasn't comfortable doing it myself so I put rocks in my Russians cage. She trimmed the beak on her own and then i just filed it even with an emery board.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
The 'rocks in the enclosure' option isn't always enough for a severely overgrown beak. If it's just a little overhang in the front, they will often file it down themselves, but I have found that most of my rescues need an initial trim to get things going back to normal.

Honestly, with a tortoise as small as a Russian, I'd be a bit hesitant to use a dremel. Especially if you haven't done it before. On a bigger tortoise I think a dremel would work awesome!

Is there a tortoise club or a reptile rescue in your area? Our local rescue is wonderful - and the founder will trim beaks for free. She taught me how, and now I do it myself (and often help her - 2 meetings ago a woman brought in 11 box turtles that ALL needed a trim!).

I wrote a little 'how to' on my tortoise blog (http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-trim-tortoises-beak-with-pictures.html) - I use clippers and an emery board. HOWEVER, as someone mentioned above, it would be good to have a knowledgeable person (vet, rescue, zookeeper etc) help you with this the first time.

Another option (aside from clipping or dremel) is to just file away at it a little every day with an emery board. It will take forever, but will eventually get the beak back to where it should be. There's a video on my blog on how to do this.

Good luck!

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I use a small dremel-like machine for my russians called a pedi-paw sold as dog trimmers but I take the shield off to expose the full file which is relatively small. It'll work easiest with two people at first until you feel comfortable doing it yourself. One person holds the tort and when he sticks his neck out put two fingers on both side of its neck so he can't retract inside the shell and the other person uses the small dremel to trim. It's quick and easy. If you feel like its too much stress for the tort just take a break and continue. I hope this helps :)

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
I have heard that if their beak is to long you can give them apples and their beak will break off, but i have never tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.