New Addition to family...RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyBsober

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hi. I have taken on the responsibility of two RES that were just going to be let go :(! I have read extensive the redearslider.com web site and checked out some others. I have a few pics here to what I have accomplished so far. The tank is 36 gal and i put about 8 gal of water in. Each one is 4" Randall and Little T. (they came with names lol). They seem to be happier, as they were in a red tub with no light and nothing to bask or come out of the water on.
My immediate questions would be:

1. How many filter(s) needed and what type? I have the Waterfall filter which has 2 carbon bio bags inside. Should I add a second underwater?

2. In feeding, is just placing the greens in the water is the way to do it? I have also added a few of the aquatic plants. And on feeder fish, they were being fed small gold fish. The last time was 2 weeks ago. The pet store says they are to little for the that???? hmmm...

Thanks for any help and suggestions greatly appreciated. I figured I would just be a 'foster parent'...until i got them home :) They're adorable.

****okay i have to figure out the pic, my camera's settings are off. Says too large to add.

I got it :)
RandallLittleT006.jpg

RandallLittleT007.jpg

RandallLittleT008.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just an informational note: once you place your pictures in photobucket, you have to leave them there or our site can't access them anymore.

Here is just about the best water turtle site I know of for filters:

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/small_tank_filter.html

Take the time to look around her site. She has some great information on turtles.

BabyBsober

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. Is it okay to move them around in Photobucket? I had just loaded them, posted here, then put them in a different album within my photobucket account. I need to re-read my camera book too. LOL

oh i see...what you mean. opps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you move the pictures around, it changes the IMG code. That's the code the forum program looks for in bringing your pictures over here. So you now have to re-copy the IMG code and paste it here.

If you send me an email or a pm with the new img codes I can put them in your original posts.

BabyBsober

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
RandallLittleT009.jpg

RandallLittleT008.jpg

RandallLittleT007.jpg

RandallLittleT001.jpg

RandallLittleT002.jpg

sorry didn't catch that b4 i redid. I'll try that with the Sulcata. Thanks again. I don't really mess with photobucket a whole lot.
emysemys said:
When you move the pictures around, it changes the IMG code. That's the code the forum program looks for in bringing your pictures over here. So you now have to re-copy the IMG code and paste it here.

If you send me an email or a pm with the new img codes I can put them in your original posts.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow he looks pretty big is he? He looks so happy sitting in his water. Good job. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
IMO they are more than big enough to eat feeder gold fish. I have about a dozen RES in my outdoor kiddie pool from tiny to big momma size. Just a word of warning if you like any of the plants you put in their tank don't they will eat them. :) I just toss in some grape leaves 2 to 3 times a week and they eat them. I also feed mine earthwomrs, nightcrawlers, snails, slugs, trout chow, the occasional baby bird that falls in there (I don't throw then in they fall in), and any water plants I try to grow in there dissapears overnight. I hope this helps.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Adult sliders should have a diet that is primarily plant based. The occasional worm or snail is fine, but shouldn't be the bulk of their diet.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
They are very beautiful, and even I could see why they are called red-eared sliders!:p

Congratulations on your new additions.:D

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
I would have to agree with Emysemys in the turtlepuddle link. DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER FILTERS BESIDE A CANISTER FILTER. ( I have the same waterfall you do too) I have spent many hundreds of dollars on filters that give out months later. I ended up buying the Magnum 350. FYI the Magnum 350 works great, but kinda hard to put together at first. (It's the same filter i use for my RES) The filter is mainly a fish filter sooo they expect it to be used for fish so be ready to cut tubing, buy filters a little more, and the thing TAKES A LOT OF CARBON!!! The mass amount of carbon it takes eliminates the cesspool stench you get sometimes in a matter of minutes, which is good. Also a good thing is is that you can customize it to your tank. Really any canister filter will do. PM me if you have any Q's about these little stinkers :)

BabyBsober

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. They are both only 4" I really need to work on my camera skills. A tad bit out of practice.
Candy said:
Wow he looks pretty big is he? He looks so happy sitting in his water. Good job. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.