New and So Glad to be here

Angel K

Hello my Name is Angel and I believe I have a Desert Tort. He is about 2 1/2 years old and was gifted to me a several weeks after hatching. I have never had a baby tort before and have had many issues and don't have any answers. I live in Phoenix Az and have ants outside so I do not want to place my baby tort outside.
I have only had large 5 plus yr old torts that lived in our back yard and a eastern box that was put outside after the first year I had him. We no longer have the larger torts they were stolen.
With my baby Scooter he has become orange skinned, can't figure out what is making his turn orange. Does anyone know what may be doing this? He is in coconut substrate and timothy grass with his water dish. He doesn't have a lot of good lighting as I read earlier and need to go to get a dual lighting and heating lamps to make it better.
I noticed he is sleeping a lot now and he should be out running around.
Also, I want to try and keep him de wormed I heard butternut squash is good for that.
Can anyone give me suggestions or tell me if they have dealt with some of these issues specially orange skin?
All remarks are welcome.
Thx
Angel K

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Angel, and welcome to the Forum! Yes, the tortoise in your avatar picture is a desert tortoise.

I don't think the color of the skin is worrisome. It might be natural, it might be due to whatever he's eating.

Your baby looks like he could benefit from a regular daily soaking.

How about posting some pictures so we can see the skin better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Squash is NOT a de-wormer. I don't know how that particular wives tail got started. It's the seeds that are a de-wormer. You have to grind up the seeds and sprinkle them over the food. But why do you think the baby has worms?

What kind of lights are you using. If you have one of those coil-shaped bulbs, turn it off immediately. They are harmful to baby tortoise's eyes.

Angel K

The picture now was of him a year ago I will post later as I am closing my store- he looks great in this one .. I will sent pictures soon

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
hello Angel welcome to the TFO from Phx.AZ you have a great ladie to help you Yvonne G knows her stuff . I also have ADT s and they are great ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401591996.664789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Looking forward to see your photos.

Angel K

The photos are not super clear but you can see scooters leg in the top picture and that is more true to his coloring. The second picture he is actually more orange than that. I will try and get a new photo tomorrow in true sunlight.

Angel K

Hi Angel, and welcome to the Forum! Yes, the tortoise in your avatar picture is a desert tortoise.

I don't think the color of the skin is worrisome. It might be natural, it might be due to whatever he's eating.

Thanks for the verification of tort. I was thinking sacata but then I seen a 40 yr old desert and could not tell what he was.

Angel K

Doesn't he just soak when he wants too? I have his water dish in his living so he can crawl in it.

Angel K

Squash is NOT a de-wormer. I don't know how that particular wives tail got started. It's the seeds that are a de-wormer. You have to grind up the seeds and sprinkle them over the food. But why do you think the baby has worms?

What kind of lights are you using. If you have one of those coil-shaped bulbs, turn it off immediately. They are harmful to baby tortoise's eyes.
The bulb I have is Called a ReptiSun bulb not sure if this is a good light or not! Reviews say yes but no real heat!

Angel K

hello Angel welcome to the TFO from Phx.AZ you have a great ladie to help you Yvonne G knows her stuff . I also have ADT s and they are great View attachment 82196

I love your picture, wish my scooter had a place like yours. Too afraid the ants will get him as we have had little tiny red ants here. I think they are called sugar ants. I'm afraid I may have to give him up so he has a good outdoor home.

Angel K

The other day I had been fixing a cup of coffee and seen a small worm like a very tiny tiny one. It was crawling on the side of my cup on a small ledge of one of the rings it has on it. I could not think of any other way it would have gotten on my cup as it was on the side right where I had my hand to set it down from the shelf. I had not rinsed my hand yet before I grabbed it. So I assumed it was from my turtle. As I can not think of anything else. Kinda freaks me out! I have dogs, a bird and fish as well...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Angel the TFO last year talked about
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth for getting rid of ants so I went to the feed store on Cave Creek in Phx and got some it will not hurt the tort but it is death on ants it was $12.00 for a gal . Jug have a great tort day

Angel K

Angel the TFO last year talked about
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth for getting rid of ants so I went to the feed store on Cave Creek in Phx and got some it will not hurt the tort but it is death on ants it was $12.00 for a gal . Jug have a great tort day

Never heard of that before. How long does it take to kill off the ants and would I use it all the time to keep them away? That is awesome, I live a short ways from Cave creek I will have to check it out. Thank you so much.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The only problem is if you water the place were you put it then you have to wait for the ground to dry before you re apply it .
The feed store is between bell rd and UnionHills

Angel K

The only problem is if you water the place were you put it then you have to wait for the ground to dry before you re apply it .
The feed store is between bell rd and UnionHills

Okay, Today I freaked out over my Tort. I took her outside to get some sun and I went in to go to the bathroom and was gone only a couple of minutes to come back outside and my tort was missing. Scared me to Death. My only thoughts were she fell in the pool. I tried to find her for an hour and finally figured she was gone. Thank God my female pug found her. Our ants here have gotten worse and now I am afraid she will be in too much danger with ants and the pool. I still keep her inside. What light is best for her?
Also, is there someone who has been taking care of torts and been here on this forum a while who may be able to take her that's from Arizona? I really love her but want her to be well.