New baby leopard, a few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burblest

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello all, great to find these forums. I have a new baby (about 4 months) cb leopard tortoise that I recently acquired. My camera is not working, so can't post a pic, sorry. But, just curious how often you all supplement your leopards. I'm using rep-cal (with D3) about 3 times a week, with a more pure calcium supplement during most other days. I come from keeping chameleons, which can be more sensitive to overdosing on D3, so I've been a bit more hesitant of overdoing it. Anyway, just curious what some of your routines may be, and also what additional vitamins you're using and how often. Thanks very much, I look forward to frequenting these forums!

PS- He/she is feeding very well on dandelions, clover and various other weeds with occasional collard greens and endive. Thanks again

T

timothymac

Congrats, on your new critter. Welcome to the world of "large" tortoise keeping. I used to raise "Jackson's" for a couple of years. I have a 7 year old Leopard Tortoise who was raised indoors in terrible conditions. The owner gave her up when she got too big.
My girl is pyramided due to a lack of calcium/too much protein in her diet over the years. She is doing great now that her living conditions and diet have been corrected. I have her housed outside and she is given about a teaspoon or so of powdered calcium every other day. (Yours is a baby I'm not sure what your dosage should be, I'm sure someone else will respond with more info for you.) I also use a Vitiamin supplement several times a week. I hand feed her when she gets her"meds" so I know she gets the full amount. I just sprinkle the powders on a couple of pieces of squash or cucumber and she loves it. If your housing your guy strictly indoors use the calcium with D3. I also provide a cuttlebone (which she ignores) just in case she gets the urge. I stay away from collards, kale, broccoli, these can cause your guy problems if fed often. A varied diet,high in fiber is the key to feeding. Hope this helps... good luck, do your research (as you are now), and all will be fine . A good site (beside here) for more info is the World Chelonian Trust.
P.S. as your guy grows he will provide you with some interesting challenges. We can talk about that another time.
Tim

Burblest

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I have been sticking primarily to high fiber foods like you mentioned, and have seed mixtures for when the weather becomes a little colder (and my natural supply runs out). I forgot to mention this, but my other concern was that I plan on giving the baby a few days outside during the week, or whenever possible, in a screened in enclosure. It's pretty warm out now so I think he'd enjoy it. But, do I use the non-D3 supplements only on the days he's outside, or should I avoid it altogether if he's getting consistent sun? Also, what kind of vitamins do you use? I have herptivite, but will try to find or order something else if it's more recommended. Thanks again

-Dan

T

timothymac

I don't think it would hurt to use cal with d3 even if he's outside rarely. I have used different multi-vitiamins, I don't think brand is important. Check for expiration date befor you buy.

What kind of indoor enclosure do you house him in? Lighting is very important. Do visit the World Chelionian Trust site, it has excellent info on building enclosures, lighting, heaters etc. They have excelllent info on Lepoards.

What part of the country do you live in? If you put him outside make sure he can get out of the direct sun, and that he has a cool place to retreat to. Your best bet for food during the winter is hay. (Not alfalfa.) Get him started eating this now, mix with your weeds etc, so that by winter he will readily eat it alone. Otherwise you will be driving yourself nuts trying to grow enough for him to eat. You want a low protein hay. It is available at feed stores. I use what they call orchard hay.It's cheap maybe 8 to 10 bucks for a bale, which would last you forever, many people feed it to lama's and other critters. I read your other post, mine coughs once in a while. To be save, after giving vitiamins I feed her a piece of squash that I dip in water, just to wash the powder in her throat down... Good Luck, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.