New baby

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459632110.047563.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459632123.648439.jpg
I just got this little cutie they said he was a year old! If anyone has anything to share about marginated tortoise it would be great help! Also he is going to be in a tortoise table with a uvb strip light and a mercury vapor bulb, the guy was giving him spring mix but i know weeds are best! Thank you guys for your help in advance

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Mine really like kale and collard greens also some grass on occasion. Does the mercury vapor bulb you have produce uvb as well? I'm not sure if you need two sources of uvb lighting.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A Mercury Vapour Bulb provides both UVB light and basking heat. You don't need another lamp as well.

Why not post some pictures of your enclosure and we can advise on any changes that would be beneficial?

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459809785.993474.jpg
I had a rubbermaid container but i decided this would be better

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Is that a 20 or a 40 gallon tank it's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to be a decent size, are you using the Rubbermaid lid as a cover for the tank? What are your 4 temps ? Basking, warm, cool ,and night?

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
20 long but he looks like an ant in there and 78 normal 90 basking around 70% humidity also the lid helps keep the humidity in is there any other way to keep the humidity up?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
All your temps seem good I have my basking spot a little over 95 in the 98 range but 90 should be okay . A Rubbermaid lid is a clever way to seal the top and keep in the warm air and humidity. I use small plexiglass squares that I have cut to fit over the gaps on the roofs of the tanks. Some people also use tin foil or an insulation you can buy in lowes I forget the name but it also works to hold heat and humidity. As far as making a table I honestly wouldn't both for at least a year marginated Tortoise grow fairily slowly only about one inch per year, so it will fit nicely in there for a while. Tortoise tables are nice but they can be very hard to keep covered and keep the warm air/ humidity where you want it. I keep two marginated in a 40 gallon breeder and they are both right around the same size.

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
Thank you for all your help i just want to make sure im doing everything okay

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
No problem at all. Everyone here was at one point trying to make sure they did things okay. Feel free to keep asking questions , the marginated section hasent been getting as much love as some of the other areas on the forum recently so it's nice when people get little marginated babies.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York

These are my two marginated tanks, they are both 40 gallon breeder tanks . It's a fairly basic setup I only have one hide for the two in the first picture but they both burrow into the substrate at night and they seem to prefer that to the hide . The one in the second picture I have not had as long and have never seen him burrow only use his hides.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome - he is beautiful.
I expect you have already found the caresheet written by Chris who is a very experienced and well respected keeper. If not it's here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/marginated-tortoise-testudo-marginata-care-sheet.98564/
That should tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc.
A good tip I was given was
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort

so check what levels of both should be for your tort species to avoid RIs.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is also a great place to find do's and don'ts.
Good luck with your new baby!

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459980841.135304.jpg
Great news he soaked himself in his water dish pooped and ate a ton I guess he's getting comfortable

Reactions: Rue