New baby

Veitality

Location (City and/or State)
WILLIAMSTOWN
We just got a baby red footed tortoise. It’s about 3-4 inches. Right now we have it in a 10 gallon with mesh lid. Coconut substrate. The soft fluffy kind. It’s eating great. We got the Mazuri diet and also give greens and fruits. The humidity is always above 70% and temp is constantly around 75° In the shade. It hasn’t pooped yet. Should I worry? We take it outside daily for sun and I did purchase a UVB bulb and I have a small heat lamp. Is there anything else I should be doing? I’m new to this. It seems happy and healthy so far.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A 10 gallon is far too small for a 4" tortoise. They grow fast too. You definitely need something bigger. Your temperature is a little low too. You want to aim for 84-86F thru out the enclosure. It's easiest done with a closed chamber style enclosure. You can get a large plastic tote to make one for just a few bucks.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
We just got a baby red footed tortoise. It’s about 3-4 inches. Right now we have it in a 10 gallon with mesh lid. Coconut substrate. The soft fluffy kind. It’s eating great. We got the Mazuri diet and also give greens and fruits. The humidity is always above 70% and temp is constantly around 75° In the shade. It hasn’t pooped yet. Should I worry? We take it outside daily for sun and I did purchase a UVB bulb and I have a small heat lamp. Is there anything else I should be doing? I’m new to this. It seems happy and healthy so far.
Hello! Welcome to the forum. Redfoot tortoises are great and i'm sure you will enjoy yours. You said it was 3-4 inches long so that leads me to believe that it is almost a yearling redfoot tortoise. A 10 gallon tank is far too small for any species of tortoise even if it's a hatchling. The bare minimum sized tank for a 3-4 inch tortoise is a 40 gallon tank and larger would be recommended. I'm glad to see that your tortoise is eating well. The not pooping is pretty normal but I would soak him in some nice and warm water and he will most likely poop. What is your basking spot temperature? Could we see a picture of your setup?

Veitality

WILLIAMSTOWN
The 10 gallon is definitely temporary. We are going to pick up a nice big tote this weekend. We are already planning on a large outdoor area and a large indoor area for the winter. I’ll try to get some better pics in the morning.

Attachments

• A4A9BE26-8BD6-4D0E-96CB-073AE44A28C1.jpeg
    A4A9BE26-8BD6-4D0E-96CB-073AE44A28C1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • B7FE079D-02C9-4D24-BEC0-8CB9BE44FD5E.jpeg
    B7FE079D-02C9-4D24-BEC0-8CB9BE44FD5E.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 16

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
The 10 gallon is definitely temporary. We are going to pick up a nice big tote this weekend. We are already planning on a large outdoor area and a large indoor area for the winter. I’ll try to get some better pics in the morning.
Welcome to the forum! Looks like your using a ramped water bowl. Get did of it, it’s great for flexible lizards but tortoises have been known to flip over and drown in them.