new here and first ever Tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
Hi my name is Kendra and I am new to the world or tortoises....

I just (yesterday 11MAR04) purchased a young red foot tortoise and I do have a few questions... I am presently feeding him/her fresh veggies including right now fresh greens and squash, which I am pleased to say she ate some of over night, but the little guy does not want to really open his eyes. I am thinking this is just due to stress as being moved from the pet store to the house, at least I hope so.

I will be building a custom enclosure this spring for him as well and want to put in a live plant if I can but would like to know what may be safe, and not eaten, by the goober. Any help and input to a newbie is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing any advice people may have for me!

As you can tell, I don't have a name for him (HELP) and would like a gender neutral name as I have no idea the sex... My beardie's name is Drew Allison Carey, or DAC for short lol

Thanks everyone!

I bought the little goober at Big Al's, the substrate there was the regular soil, the stuff you buy as bricks, and mine is a mix of the same soil and the wood chips around his water bowl for extra height and to attempt to keep the watter a little cleaner. He was in his water dish this morning and I misted last night before bed. For a hide, I have one of the silk plants and all of the leaves bent over to provide full cover to eliminate stress. The tank is exposed to plenty of natural light, south facing window, and a heat light is used to keep it warmer.

He is probably only 4 in in length right now so just a little guy.

As for a plant, it would be above ground in a separate pot... everytime I try to plant anything in my tanks, someone digs it up anyway haha!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kendra:

Not opening eyes is a problem. More than likely its lighting or substrate. Too much light, too strong of a light. Substrate too dry, substrate toxic.

We need more info.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Glad you took my advice and moved everything over here.

Let's start with what you have told us about where he came from... The soil from bricks is called coir. How damp was it kept, do you recall? What kind of lights or heating did they use, do you know? What were they feeding him? Did he have room mates? If so, what kind(s). Did he have a dish to soak himself in there?

Okay now to your place... you have coir and wood chips. What kind of wood chips? Ate they just around the water dish? How damp do you have the coir?

Okay you have a heat lamp where is it located? On just one end? Over or near or other end from hide? Same questions but water dish. One end of his enclosure is how hot? The cooler side is how cool?

So the only light is the ambient light from the windows? Can he get out of the light if it is too much light for him?

A picture or four would really be helpful of his enclosure and him.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Holy crap lots of info needed..... heat lamp is at one end of the enclosure and water at the other, tree adds lots of shade and cover should the little guy need out of the sun/heat. The soil at the pet store appeared nice and damp and I too keep most of my tanks damper as many of mine are rain forest set up aside from 2. The wood chips are just around the water dish which is a container with some rock on the bottom as the dish itself is a little deep and I want him to be able to get in and out. They used the same heat lamp as I did but the light did not look any more than a regular bulb.

I will be taking some photos tonight that I can post for viewing. The tank he is in is temporary, I am looking for more ideas for when I build my own and looking at different designs that I have seen online. My enclosure will need to be an indoor one as in Edmonton, we don't always have the nicest weather but I will allow him out with us when it is warmer.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a really quick question/thought. Do I recall that you said he was soaking on his own this am? Or is it my old memory shorting out again? Wondering, because I would give him a nice warm soak and then notice if his eyes are more open afterward.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
no you read right, he was sitting in his water dish this morning and I did give him a couple squirts with my misting bottle. He did have his eyes open for a bit last night but closed them when I got a little closer.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So do you think his eyes are always open, except when he is hiding from you? Which would be very natural with him being brand new to you and his new world.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
that is possible, might just be scared and finding his own way to hide from me. He was peaking yesterday so hopefully in a few days, he will be used to me and open his eyes more

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I see we can quit calling it he and she. You have named it. Welcome to Beans. (which just happens to be my oldest daughter's nickname lol)

LindaF

5 Year Member
Hello. I read above you misted before bed. Just a thought but be careful about misting at night. If you let the temps drop during the night, if he gets wet he might get a chill.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
thanks I never would have thought of that! Don't want to add to the stress if I don't have to.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
For some reason, my computer is being a pile of **** lol and I can't load any of the pictures I took yesterday. I did change my profile pic but I don't know if it can be closer viewed. Her eyes are open here but only because I misted her. I really am starting to think that she was in too dry of conditions in the store and I am hoping I can help her without it getting worse. I am open to any kind of suggestion....
:(

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum! I don't know a great deal about Redfoots, but my first go-to if s/he won't keep his/her eyes open is dehydration. Definitely give her a long soak in luke-warm water, up to her bridge--where her carapace (top shell) meets her plastron (bottom shell). Keep the water baby bath warm, and leave her in there for half an hour or so. Do that at least once a day, and mist the enclosure regularly (i.e. several times a day) to keep it humid.

My experience with redfoots is very, very limited. The store I work at got in a tiny rescued hatchling in poor shape a couple weeks ago. It was lethargic, it wouldn't open its eyes, and it was hardly moving. The first thing we did was put him in a lukewarm soak, like I described above. Within seconds, he perked up and was moving around. By the time he came out of the soak about an hour later, he was in MUCH better shape. Eyes open, walking around. Since, he's been kept in a very humid enclosure. He hasn't been soaked as much as he should, but just that initial soak and the high humidity (and, likewise, 24/7 warmth) of his enclosure have him perked up and acting more or less like a "normal" hatchling should.

Soaking is definitely worth a shot to see if it perks him up! Otherwise, the only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure it's warm enough at night, and not too hot during the day. Having it in front of that window can heat it up to dangerous temperatures FAST. Unless you have a digital thermometer in there to monitor that, it may be best for you to move it out from in front of the window to be safe. As well, you should have heat on him at night so he doesn't get too cold.. Like someone mentioned earlier, cold and wet conditions can lead to problems like respiratory illness. The way to prevent this with fragile hatchling tortoises is to take the "cold" out of the equation. Get some sort of night heat (black/red bulb, ceramic heat emitter) and leave it on overnight. If I remember correctly (and I'm sure someone who knows better will either confirm or correct me), you want to aim for having the enclosure at least 80F at all times to prevent the possibility of respiratory illness with all the humidity you want to maintain in there.

So, there's my input in the matter... Based on one experience and all the wonderful things I've learned right here on TFO! Hope it helps, and good luck with your little tortie! :)

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
thank you so much... I have also seen a humidity spray offered in big al's for reptiles with dry skin. Is that an option or has anyone even heard of this stuff?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm guessing you mean "Shed Ease" or something? Not worth the trouble. Plain water works just fine, and it doesn't cost you $10 for a little bottle! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.