New here, any advice is welcome. Thanks!

mmaboi21

Just got a red footed tortoise a few days ago and I'm not sure if im doing everything correctly. I live in Bakersfield ca.

I'd love any feedback regarding my current setup. I'll be posting pics here in a few.

Thanks!

Simon

mmaboi21

Please offer me any feedback; I don't want to have anything setup wrong!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a run down of temps, high, low, night, basking, humidity, diet, lights and heat you are using? Size and age of tort and size of enclosure.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hi there! Congrats on your new beautiful red footed tortoise! First off what kind of lighting are you using, temps in your tortoises enclosure, and will your tortoise live inside the tank full time? Will he have access to outside? That enclosure looks very small for your tort. They need a lot of exercise to roam. I would make sure you offer an area to were your tort can hide and feel safe.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hi there! Congrats on your new beautiful red footed tortoise! First off what kind of lighting are you using, temps in your tortoises enclosure, and will your tortoise live inside the tank full time? Will he have access to outside? That enclosure looks very small for your tort. They need a lot of exercise to roam. I would make sure you offer an area to were your tort can hide and feel safe.
Lol, I meant they need a lot of room to roam!

mmaboi21

Thank you all for the kind comments.
2-3 inches size, temp is 83 degrees, nice and humid, it's a 40 gallon tank, not sure what the sex is.

mmaboi21

Oh high basking lamp(the 75%), enclosure sits high on stand. It's night time right now.

mmaboi21

Also not sure of age, I got her/him(I think it's a female) a few days ago at petco. The guy selling em had some information which was a little contradicting to what I read online. Just want to make sure I'm taking good care of her. I'm a beginner big time!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
The tortoise library will give you some great information on red footed tortoises.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oh sorry...Just go under Google or yahoo and type in the tortoise library & search for red footed tortoise. If you have questions, we will help you :)

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Welcome to the forum! :)
Smart to do your own research. I have yet to talk to a pet store employee that is truly knowledgeable about Torts. They know what they are told by the store and it is very old school knowledge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Simon, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm just down the road from you in Clovis!! We're practically neighbors - LOL!

Your tank is too small. Pat your substrate down with your hand so it's not so 'fluffy.' Makes it easier for him to walk on it. Is there a hiding place? Broccoli should be fed sparingly.

Here's a link: Tortoise Library