New Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana - United States
My wife and I found these Hermanns at Pet Smart over the weekend and decided to give them a good home since their "enclosure" was a miserable environment. The smaller of the 2 is about 3.5in SCL. The larger one is a hair over 4.0in. Based on what I have read, they are both males.

They were selling them as Russian's on sale for $97. They are pyramiding and based on their lighting/humidity/pellet diet in the store - I can see why.

I have read a few posts and I'm guessing they are 3-4 years for the smaller one and 5-7 for the larger one? Please correct these numbers if you have a better hunch. I know there are many variables that can determine the growth rate, so a "best guess" would be appreciated.

Since they have been home, they have enjoyed some hibiscus leaves mixed with some weeds from the yard and spring mix. I am hoping that with the correct environmental factors, we can correct, or at least maintain the pyramiding for the rest of their growth.

I've read some care sheets I have found and other than the night-time temperature, they really don't seem to stray that much from our sulcatas during their first year. They are currently on coconut coir as a substrate. They are expelling plenty of junk right now during each daily soaking. Once we can get the "Pet Smart" out of them, we will just make the soakings a few days a week.IMG_2391.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. They don't really look too bad for pet store torts. Glad your giving them a better home though. :)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Their growth seems fairly normal and I see next to no pyramiding. Just keep them fed well and hydrated and they'll be fine :)

Thanks for rescuing them!

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Louisiana - United States
Thanks for the replies. Something else to pass along. I'm glad I'm doing the daily soaks right now because I discovered 2 pinworms this evening. I will be posting on the Tortoise Health forum, but wanted to mention the fun has begun. Hopefully we can get rid of these quickly and get them healthy.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Good on you for taking them on! They're good looking torts. The one to the left has a very smooth carapace! Looks like they got proper care at some point.

I just rescued 2 of them, too, 3 weeks ago; a female and a male.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.