New & Improved Enclosure for 2 month old EBT hatchlings

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386119585.959597.jpg
They love it!! :)
I still have the other half of the terrarium to decorate, but I tried to make it look as much like a "turtle paradise" as possible - about 5 minutes after being introduced to the new environment when I took this pic, Sugar was "diving" right into the new soaking dish, and Sapphire was headed right in the direction of the food bowl! After spending their first couple months of life on a moist moss substrate, this is completely new to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Take a picture of it tomorrow when they kick everything up :p It looks so clean and pretty in that pic. Your little ones are super adorable, too :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That looks awesome ! We have three toed box turtles wild here . They're always crossing roads or passing through the yard . One piece advice .... them disk type meters don't work well . You can go to home depot and get a good meter for ten dollars . Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 1386122277563.jpg
    1386122277563.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 74

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be getting one of those monitors. And thanks for complimenting! These are baby Easterns, I live in northwest Indiana and they are wild here. These 2 babies actually came from eggs from a wild female turtle that laid them on top of the ground, so I incubated them and they hatched! They are wonderful little babies! The hatchling fatality rate is really high, plus boxies are a near threatened species, so I am taking the best care possible to ensure their survival and happiness! Here were the eggs laid on top of the ground: View attachment 63453
This is rare that the eggs would be fertile if laid on the surface of the ground, but to my surprise, they hatched on Oct. 5th!
View attachment 63454

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats cool it worked out for you . I love the little box turtles . I make myself let the ones I find go .

5 Year Member
It's getting really cold, and since they hatched in October, I learned here on the forum that they probably wouldn't make it through hibernation.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
What kind of substrate are you using? Is it Coco coir and what kind of moss is that, I use spangum (spelling? Sorry) moss and I hate the way it flatness and looks. Very icky

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Great enclosure for your beautiful little cutie pies!! :)
I just LOVE boxies and yours are just adorable! Great job! I think it would still look awesome messed up!! :)