New Member and Red Footed Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I'm an English teacher from New Jersey and a recent parent of two baby red footed torts (I posted some questions in what I hope was the red footed forum about care and such so advice would be appreciated there). I'm hoping to learn from the community as I raise the pair of torts and document their progress. I've attempted to attach a photo (hopefully it worked).

Thanks,
Lina

Attachments

• torts.jpeg
    torts.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 44

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lina, and welcome to the Forum!

Please reconsider replacing that waterer with a plant saucer. Those manufactured waterers have steep sides and sometimes babies will tip over backwards trying to climb out of them, landing in the water on their back. The plant saucer has sloped sides and the baby doesn't have to get "vertical" in order to climb out. Then you would sink it down into the substrate so he doesn't have to climb to get in.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Lina, and welcome to the Forum!

Please reconsider replacing that waterer with a plant saucer. Those manufactured waterers have steep sides and sometimes babies will tip over backwards trying to climb out of them, landing in the water on their back. The plant saucer has sloped sides and the baby doesn't have to get "vertical" in order to climb out. Then you would sink it down into the substrate so he doesn't have to climb to get in.

I have replaced in within the first few minutes actually - once I realized they couldn't climb out. I will keep it until they're bigger. I'm using a seashell I found on the beach (cleaned) since it's easy to walk in and out of.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
I have replaced it within the first minute or so, once seeing that they couldn't easily climb out. I'm using a seashell found at the beach they can easily climb out of.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Alright one more red foot keeper! Welcome to TFO!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
OMG How cute your babies are!
Welcome!

Ann from CT

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lina welcome to the TFO And I'm sorry for my spelling and grammar
But you will have fun with the babies

mikeh

5 Year Member
Welcome and congrats on redfoots! If I may a suggestion; the bark substrate is not ideal for few reasons. Bark can be hard on feet, and in redfoots case moisture and high humidity is essential for healthy development (especially babys), which bark does not support.

One of the better alternatives would be coconut coir, coconut husk chips or cypress mulch.

My fav. is coconut husk chips. They soak and retain water, they are soft, do not mold or harbor insect, no mess unlike coconut coir and have good smell. Even when wet, coconut husk allows for good airflow under the plastron for it to dry of, which is important for red foots as they are more prone to shell rot.
It can be bought on internet for under $30 shipped, for a large 5kg block which will last forever.

Good luck on your new adventure, its a rewarding one.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

linaizzie

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
Welcome and congrats on redfoots! If I may a suggestion; the bark substrate is not ideal for few reasons. Bark can be hard on feet, and in redfoots case moisture and high humidity is essential for healthy development (especially babys), which bark does not support.

One of the better alternatives would be coconut coir, coconut husk chips or cypress mulch.

My fav. is coconut husk chips. They soak and retain water, they are soft, do not mold or harbor insect, no mess unlike coconut coir and have good smell. Even when wet, coconut husk allows for good airflow under the plastron for it to dry of, which is important for red foots as they are more prone to shell rot.
It can be bought on internet for under $30 shipped, for a large 5kg block which will last forever.

Good luck on your new adventure, its a rewarding one.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Thanks! I will have to look into that.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. We are here to share, learn, and support members here. Your babies are absolutely adorable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.