New Member from Michigan

Don G

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello to the Tortoise Forum Community. First of all, I am excited to join the forum and join the rest of the members here. I have used many forums but have never used one as an active member, so I am hoping that changes here and that I am more active.

I am a 32 year old male and have loved reptiles since a kid. I have owned reptiles since the age of 12 and wonder why I chose a career in accounting as opposed to some journey into herpetology, but I suppose I was more concerned with job security and accounting seemed "safer". I held onto the idea that my journey in herpetology will be a lifelong hobby of mine, but maybe one day it can be more than just a hobby.

While all my friends were out playing sports, I was going to the local pet store to see what reptiles were in stock, reading my Reptiles magazines, or picking up a "Care and Husbandry" manual for whatever reptile I thought I might acquire next.

That said, most of my ownership experience has been with lizards, but I have come to realize I need a tortoise in my life. I remember purchasing a sulcata tortoise from a pet store when I was 15, but a year later I think I realized that I was not going to have the resources to take care of such a large species and returned him to the pet store I purchased him from. Now 16 years later, I will finally find a species that I feel will be a great fit for me.

Being in Michigan, I have spent the last year looking at Russian's and Hermann's since they would be "ideal" for the climate here, however, I keep falling back on my desire to own a Red Footed Tortoise, so I think I need to get what I really want as long as I provide the proper humidity and requirements of the Red Footed, which I think the slightly more demanding requirements will be worth it. :)

That said, I look forward to finding a nice Cherry Head Red Footed here from a very reputable breeder. I haven't seen much available out there right now so maybe this isn't the best time to be tortoise shopping, but hopefully I will find someone here that will be the door to finding my new lifelong tortoise friend.

Don

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Don, and welcome to the Forum!

One of our members - Allegraf - has the prettiest cherryheads I've ever seen. There are several members who breed and sell RF tortoises. Take a look at our breeders list.

Don G

5 Year Member
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Yvonne, I appreciate the guidance. Can you tell me where I find the breeders list?

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Welcome to the forum, Don!

It's lovely to have new members join. My name is Chloe and I am original from Canada, but I currently reside in California.

Cherries are such gorgeous tortoises. I have three Russians myself, but I am always so jealous of the beautiful markings. You will learn so much from this forum; the best advice I can offer you is to keep the receipts of any and all products you purchase from a pet store. This forum is full of amazingly cheap (and sometimes better!) product substitutions.

I cannot wait to see your future tortoises! Have you thought of any names yet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). What part of Michigan are you in? I'm originally from there, the west side, Muskegon area, I now live in Chicago. We have quite a few Michigan members and there are quite a few sulcatas, leopards, red foots, etc in the northern colder states. That said, go with getting the species you really want. If you don't now, you will once you get your first tort anyway.:D
Member N2TORTS also has beautiful red foots and cherries. Good luck on your search, don't forget to share pics with us.

Don G

5 Year Member
Ann Arbor, MI
Thank you all for the greetings.

Chloe, when I was a kid I used to love land before time, and although he's not a tortoise, I plan on naming my first Tortoise Little Foot.

Wellington, I grew up in Southeastern Michigan and currently live in Ann Arbor. I always said I was going to escape Michigan but that has yet to happen, but it's not too late yet. When visiting pet stores and reptile shows in the area I do see a lot of sulcatas, I think they are awesome, just way to big for me. I went to a show last weekend hoping I might come across a red foot but no luck yet. And thanks, I will look into N2TORTS and see what they have to offer.

And don't worry, I look forward to posting my first pic of Little Foot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Although I would rather you get one from one of our breeders, don't forget to also check out CRAIGS list. There are always tortoises listed that needs a new home and someone that will give them a proper home, as most of them don't.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Don welcome to the TFO from AZ. I too was born in Saginaw , Michigan. But I did escape many years ago and I love AZ . But you have to be careful torts out here want to control the TV remote ,when you turn your back they speak Spanish , and they want to lay out in the sun and drink beer . But they are very happy . Good luck with your choise of tort .

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello! I'm from Michigan as well. I keep Redfoots. I also got two beautiful baby cherryheads from N2TORTS on the forum & will be getting 2 more from him. You will learn much about tortoises on the forum. Red foots Rule :)

Don G

5 Year Member
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks for more welcomes! It's nice to come across another Michigander, I think I am going to have to check out these cherryheads from N2TORTS.