Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne klein

5 Year Member
My name is Suzanne and I have 11 sulcatas. From what I can tell they are all males and I have rescued all of the from the San Diego Tortoise society. I am excited to read through everyones topics and learn more good tips about theses guys. I have been having aggression issues with thhhe bigger ones lately and they are always trying to mate with each other and pointers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Suzanne:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm surprised the club would allow you to adopt that many sulcatas. The only thing available to you is to separate the aggressor into a pen of his own. I can imagine, down the road, 11 separate pens.

Some sulcatas can live peacefully in a "herd" situation, and some just plain "Vant to be alone!"

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Suzanne :)

Danny

Suzanne klein

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Suzanne:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm surprised the club would allow you to adopt that many sulcatas. The only thing available to you is to separate the aggressor into a pen of his own. I can imagine, down the road, 11 separate pens.

Some sulcatas can live peacefully in a "herd" situation, and some just plain "Vant to be alone!"

Suzanne klein

5 Year Member
Suzanne klein said:
emysemys said:
Hi Suzanne:

Welcome to the forum!!

I have 6 little ones that are in there own pen and one large one in his own and two others in there own pen and a very large one that romes the yard. The very large one is trying to get two the others ones and is always trying to break in. The two in the other pen usualy get along fine but one of them is always trying to mate with the other and they are both males. The resuce has so many that need homes and I just had enough land for them for know. I am not sure what I will do when they are all huge but I hope I have alittle more time before I have to worry about that. I am not to sure how to use this forum but I will keep trying. Thanks for the welcome.

movealongmosey said:
Welcome Suzanne. :)
Thats a lot of sulcatas, are they all adults? How long have you been keeping them?
I am not sure the age of any of them. One is about 40 lbs the other 3 are around 20lbs and the others are less than 10 lbs. I got my first one about 5 years ago.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I think you are a Sulcata addict, LOL. If I had the land and $$ I would be to. Welcome to the forum.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome to the forum Suzanne! How about some pictures? or did you already post some and I missed them...

Suzanne klein

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Welcome to the forum Suzanne! How about some pictures? or did you already post some and I missed them...

I have not figured out how to post photos. I will work on that

Missy said:
I think you are a Sulcata addict, LOL. If I had the land and $$ I would be to. Welcome to the forum.

I think I may be as well. I just feel bad to see so many needing homes. They do cost alot in food

spikethebest said:
Welcome to the forum!!

What do you feed all of them? How much does that cost or do you get the food donated?

I buy alot of romain heart and other veggies from the $0.99 store and I also try to grow them things but I just can not keep up with them. I can not find any stores that will donate food so for know it comes out of my pocket and that is alot each month. I am trying to figure out how to plant there pen with out them eating everything before it has a chance to grow any pointers?

Suzanne klein

5 Year Member
Becki said:
Welcome Suzanne!

thanks

spikethebest said:
if you email me the pictures, i can post them for you... [email protected]

have you tried Mazuri Tortoise food? they have it in a 25 lb bag. that could last you awhile...

I do offer them that as well but was told it is very high in protein and to not use very often.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
when planting, put up fencing, or walls, or pilwood up so the tortoises cant get it to, and move their area to it once it has grown up, then plant the area they used to be, and close off that area.

or plant in very large above ground pots and trim from that. do you have mulberry trees in your area?

Suzanne klein

5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
when planting, put up fencing, or walls, or pilwood up so the tortoises cant get it to, and move their area to it once it has grown up, then plant the area they used to be, and close off that area.

or plant in very large above ground pots and trim from that. do you have mulberry trees in your area?

I will try that. Thanks for the great advice

Isa said:
Welcome to the forum :)

thanks. My sisters last name is Isa

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Welcome! I would do love to see your place. That many in one place I would be like a kid in a candy store. How much land do you have? This is definitely the right place to be for information and support.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
here are the pictures...

e0lgqq.jpg

2hp2lw8.jpg

dos5kj.jpg

246s2m8.jpg

qz3epk.jpg

10sgn06.jpg

20as2ds.jpg

9a2u81.jpg

24ymtye.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like the guy in that last picture had a terrible accident. What happened?

How big is the yard where the biggest tortoise is? Maybe you can divide it up and let the smaller guys out there while you plant their pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.