Status
Not open for further replies.

tootsie

5 Year Member
:)Hi. I am from Az. and I have two salcatas (Tootsie and Speedy ) who have just started breeding and I joined this forum to learn more about my tortises.
Like, how long before eggs hatch and do i need to do anythng special while they ar in the ground?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

First you need eggs to have them hatch. :p Have you had any nesting activity? Eggs usually take 70 to 80 days to hatch. Depending on where you are in Arizona, you could let the eggs incubate naturally. Most people though artificially incubate them in an incubator.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum! We're very glad to have you here.

I have a word of caution for you, since you might not realize what you are getting into.

A female sulcata might lay two or three clutches of eggs per year, with 20 to 30 eggs in each clutch. It might be fairly easy for you, the breeder, to sell your babies, however, the rescues take in many, many sulcatas from people who bought that cute little baby, and didn't realize what a steam roller and tunnel digger it would grow into.

Please give this subject a lot of thought, and do some research into how many sulcatas end up in the rescues in your area, before you allow your female to lay eggs.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi and welcome to the forum! We'd love tort pictures of Tootsie and Speedy if you have any. :)

Please do your research and don't take breeding tortoises lightly.

tootsie

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum :)

First you need eggs to have them hatch. :p Have you had any nesting activity? Eggs usually take 70 to 80 days to hatch. Depending on where you are in Arizona, you could let the eggs incubate naturally. Most people though artificially incubate them in an incubator.

Danny

yes we have 6 nest sites but 4 have been longer than 80 days. We are North of Phx about 75 miles. Our temp isusually 5 to 10 degrees cooler

emysemys said:
Welcome to the forum! We're very glad to have you here.

I have a word of caution for you, since you might not realize what you are getting into.

A female sulcata might lay two or three clutches of eggs per year, with 20 to 30 eggs in each clutch. It might be fairly easy for you, the breeder, to sell your babies, however, the rescues take in many, many sulcatas from people who bought that cute little baby, and didn't realize what a steam roller and tunnel digger it would grow into.

Please give this subject a lot of thought, and do some research into how many sulcatas end up in the rescues in your area, before you allow your female to lay eggs.

Yvonne

Good points to consider

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi and welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.