new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
I have never really looked at it that way. See a month and a half ago I bought a 8 year old 3 towed from the pet shop. She is so neat the way she acts, we all enjoy her around. Well one day we were letting her cruise around out front, catch some sun and what not. Then Pancakes were ready and we all went inside to eat, leaving Myrtle out by the door. After eating I went outside and Myrtle was GONE! I searched 1 1/2 acre across the street, land filled with brier bushes, OUCH! Myrtle was gone, I put a large sign in my yard and nothing. We decided to buy a baby hatchling. Well the hatchling was shipped, and well a neighbor found Myrtle, after the baby was bought and shipped. Myrtle was missing for over a week and we thought somebody stole her. Anyway Myrtle is so friendly, you can pet her on the head, she will roll tomatoes across the floor, all sorts of activities. She is very outgoing for a turtle! I guess I figured that a captive bread turtle would be the same, wild has been bread down to a pet if you will. I was totally unprepared for this! I am taking responsibility for the baby though, learning all that I can and going to try my hardest to "bring him out of his shell". I thank everyone here for all the help and support. :)

cordell

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
When i get new box turtles it takes them a good 5 days to even try to eat...
I offer the food, but they havent decided to trust me yet.

I would give them space, stop changing every thing and they will come around.

I have one box that will not watch unless she is hiding under plants or a box, and all my box turtles have a home to hid in, box or dog house....and babies are not usally even seen in the wide for a few years.

cordell

5 Year Member
Well 2 days in a row! Again he snatched one of the meal worms up :)

Heres a pic of todays eating, and the second pic is him with Myrtle.

SSPX0153-1.jpg

SSPX0146.jpg

cordell

5 Year Member
I just changed his substrate to that moss stuff. I am tired of that cocofiber getting stuck to him! I hope he likes this stuff better as well. It cost a bit more but in the long run it is worth it. I fed him again for the 3rd day in a row he has eaten, YEA! I am not sure if I interrupted him or what, but he ate about 1/4 of a mealworm. Granted these are the large size, not super though. How much should he eat anyway? He worked on the 1/4 worm for about 15 minutes or more than abandoned it????

cordell

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
cordell said:
I just changed his substrate to that moss stuff. I am tired of that cocofiber getting stuck to him! I hope he likes this stuff better as well. It cost a bit more but in the long run it is worth it. I fed him again for the 3rd day in a row he has eaten, YEA! I am not sure if I interrupted him or what, but he ate about 1/4 of a mealworm. Granted these are the large size, not super though. How much should he eat anyway? He worked on the 1/4 worm for about 15 minutes or more than abandoned it????

cordell

Try the wax worms they might be a little easier for him to eat. Ask for small ones.

cordell

5 Year Member
Worried again! He has eaten for the past 3 days, today I get him up do the warming ritual as always. But during the warming process he seemed to be rubbing his eyes much more than normal? Then once he got his little head out and did his I am awake yawn I fed him. Instead of pouncing on a worm he tried to go right under the substrate? I got him out, did the warming again, rubbing the eyes as before and re-fed. No eating tonight? Is it normal or OK to skip a day, also what is up with the eye deal? The didnt seem swollen or anything..

cordell

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
How warm is his enclosure? Mine didn't want to eat today either. He just dug under and didn't want any part of eating. I'll try again tomorrow. When I take mine out, I wash him up a bit to get all the substrate off him before he eats, so maybe some got in his eyes.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Mine is a baby and getting picky as well, its there internal clock i believe

cordell

5 Year Member
Well the little devil ate 2 little crickets AND a wax worm today! The moss substrate was the deal, maybe he is allergic or something? I know it was hard to keep the top moist but down below it stayed wet. Anyway all is well for now, give it a day and I will be worried half to death again! LOL

thanks
cordell

cordell

5 Year Member
OK he chowed down on a few crickets and 2 wax worms! Then he is laying around so I deside to hold him in my palm like many times before. This time he PEED on my hand! What is that all about, scared?

cordell

cordell

5 Year Member
heres a funny picture, he likes to hide under the substrate and make a lil peep hole. lol

SSPX0190.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.