New question for redfoot! Sunken Scutes

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
ok need help and I've seen other topics on this subject but still not real answer...

So I have a baby red foot, I've had him for 4-5 months now and he is about 5-6 months old. He lives in a large bin that is kept at 84-88 degrees at 80-85% humidity. He eats organic mix of greens, cabbage, strawberries, yellow squash, I supplement with calcium and he is doing great but his scutes are sunken? I'm doing everything right, I soak him 2-3 times per week I see growth but then he still has sunken scutes?? What is causing this? how do I fix it if I'm doing everything correct? Is something wrong? I took this picture today after his soak...

Attachments

• uu.PNG
    uu.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 100

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know in some baby tortoises this raised growth lines will smooth out by itself with humidity and proper diet . Some rise more than others . As to the cause I have no idea . Emysemys do this but over time the shell smoothes out . I wouldn't worry just keep taking good care of your little shelled friend .

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I think if you search for reverse pyrimiding, you will find other torts with this. They say it smoothes out with time.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think it is totally normal. I bought my RF from a breeder around the same age and he was the same way. Everything smooths out as they grow.