New Redfoot Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker/searcher, first time poster. Was hoping to get some opinions on my RF's new enclosure.
It is a fairly simple sterilite bin setup with a 150W CHE and a small 5.0 UVB bulb that is on during the daytime.
P1000039.jpg
Substrate is cypress mulch, there is a log hide in the lit/cool end, and a moist hide filled with sphagnum moss in the dark/hot end. Ambient temps are around 85 on the hot side (surface temp directly under CHE is about 90-92) and 77 on the cool side. Humidity is around 75-80% and I mist the little guy (or lady) 2-3 times a day.
P1000041.jpg
Tort seems to spend almost all of its time in the moist hide, but I have also seen him (her?) stretched out directly under the CHE.
Suggestions/critiques are welcome!
P1000037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi MrBrightside:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

Your habitat is quite serviceable. I worry that having the complete lid might make it too hot or humid in there. If it does, you can cut out some of the lid. But you've done a good job providing what your tortoise needs. All that lurking has paid off! Even with all your spraying, the cypress mulch looks a little dry to me. Pour a couple tall glasses of water over it, then the spraying can keep up with the evaporation.

I just love it when new people come on and put up pictures right off the bat (gives us something to pick at!!)

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I agree with what Yvonne said, the only thing I don't like about your enclosure is you cant even see your tortoise! How much fun is that?! It is very functional however...

MrBrightside

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick replies!
Sorry I forgot MY vitals my name is Jordan and I live in San Diego.
Thanks Yvonne for the tips, I went ahead and poured some water over the substrate. I think I understand the "correct" color for it now. As to the lid- there is about a 1.5 inch gap all the way around the CHE, which actually hangs down in the enclosure below the lid a bit. There is also a 4" X 6" hole in the corner of the cool end where the light is attached. I'm still not totally convinced that this will be enough ventilation? I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep up the humidity as it is fairly dry where I am.
I know that this setup makes it hard (ok, impossible) to see what's going on, but I was thinking that limiting the visibility might be good for the Tort psychologically? I have a couple of dogs cruising around, and didn't want to make him/her unnecessarily nervous in addition to being in all new surroundings.
I am planning on hopefully upgrading to a more terryo-like vivarium sometime soon, so I guess we'll see what happens.
Thanks again for the fast responses and keep em coming!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had to chuckle at the "...a more TerryO-like habitat." We now have a name for a good redfoot habitat! :p

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO Jordan :) You could cut a window in the front then put a piece of plexiglas over the opening

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
coreyc said:
Welcome to the TFO Jordan :) You could cut a window in the front then put a piece of plexiglas over the opening

I agree, this way you can not only see what he's up to in there, but get him used to seeing you. I never pick mine up, but the whole front is open for me to interact with them. Also how about a piece of slate that he can eat on to help keep his beak smooth.
Thank you for that nice compliment, but look on the enclosure section, and you will see some great set ups.
And welcome to the forum. Glad to see another RF keeper here.

MrBrightside

5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I went ahead and added a lexan window to the long side of the enclosure. Neat idea.
Also I rearranged his home in an attempt to give him a slightly wider range of temperatures. I moved the CHE into an open wire cage in order to better spread the heat within the enclosure.
P1000051.jpg
The cool/lit end of his enclosure where the log hide is registers a constant 77.5 degrees F. The warm end registers 85 outside his hide, which is part of a plastic box half filled with damp moss. He seems to split his time between basking under the CHE where it is around 84 degrees F, basking in his hide half covered in substrate, and hiding under his log.
Do these temperatures sound reasonable? I suppose I have the new tortoise jitters... Does he need a slightly higher basking temp available? Should I assume that a decent activity level indicates good health and happiness? As far as I can tell he isn't spending an inordinate amount of time in either the hottest or coolest parts of the enclosure.
P1000052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.