New Redfoot owner Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi all,
I was given a Red-foot for Christmas. A Red-foot would not have been my first choice for this climate, but he sure is a cutie. He's only about 4" now. I say "He" because that was the information given to us. I have my suspicions on the sex. But we've given it a male name anyway.

I would love to connect with other tort owners in Colorado (particularly Red-foot owners) to trade information on the care and housing in this environment.

In the meantime, I'm perusing the forum and will undoubtedly be asking a few questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angie:

Welcome to our Tortoise Forum family!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome! Love his name. It will take awhile before you know the sex. I guess some people temp sex but there are no guarantees. Pics please!! I love RF's!

Angie

5 Year Member
Colorado
If I did this right, some photos should appear here.
Stanley010112-1.jpg

Stanley020212-1.jpg

Hiccups49- Nice to meet you. I'm in Broomfield. The challenge is the low humidity here. Even in the summer, I think it will be a challenge. I had a humidifier piped into the enclosure, but it died a few days ago. I'm debating as to whether to replace it, switch to a misting system, or both. I'll probably start another thread on the discussion soon.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Angie said:
Hi all,
I was given a Red-foot for Christmas. A Red-foot would not have been my first choice for this climate, but he sure is a cutie. He's only about 4" now. I say "He" because that was the information given to us. I have my suspicions on the sex. But we've given it a male name anyway.

I would love to connect with other tort owners in Colorado (particularly Red-foot owners) to trade information on the care and housing in this environment.

In the meantime, I'm perusing the forum and will undoubtedly be asking a few questions.

Welcome, Angie. I'm a Coloradan, too, and I have two Russian tortoises. I was raising a young redfoot when I was living in Florida, but I donated her to a zoo when I moved back here. Redfoots are hardy, but like you said, it takes more time, money, and effort to keep the temperature and humidity up for this South American species in a Western state like Colorado. Regardless, they are beautiful and have a wonderful temperament, so I'm sure you will enjoy him, so long as he has the right environment. :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Welcome Angie,
Lots of great enclosures here on RF's. Make sure you check out TerryO's.
Covering most of the enclosure helps as does much misting. I have lots of trouble
here in MA even. (Till there are outside) Did anyone mention we love pictures??
Enjoy! Nay

Angie

5 Year Member
Colorado
Nay said:
Welcome Angie,
Did anyone mention we love pictures??
Enjoy! Nay
I tried to post some, but it doesn't look like they made it.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome Angie ... i see you must of got a repti fogger those thing dont last to long , you could always make one for about 20 bucks if you have some of the things laying around , it is soo dry here in colorado so i made one out of a ultrasonic mister/fogger they have them on ebay for any where around 7 to 10 bucks a old computer fan and some tubing and pvc piping and a tight sealing tuberwear the kind that locks (my wife was mad when i cut into hers lol)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Hi!! WELCOME to the forum ! I understand ur humidity issues! I live in Chicago and it is definitely VERY dry this time of year. Like slow poke, I also made a humidity system and it seems to be working great. I have the whole top of the cage covered with some holes cut out for the UV light and the heat lamp. Just with the little humidifier that my brother made with a fish tank pump, some tubing and a travel cup (that seals tight) I get the humidity all the way to 90% overnight and mid 70% during the day !! you could probably even google directions on how to make it at home ...

Angie

5 Year Member
Colorado
Slowpoke and Stephanie,
I was using a humidifier we had around the house and piped it in. It suddenly stopped working. My husband is working on a misting system using a pump we have. I could easily pick up another humidifier. What I'd like to know is if the misting will be enough or I should do both. I keep meaning to start another thread on this.

Stephanie, I grew up just outside of Chicago (Oswego). So, I know that you won't have humidity problems in the summer. :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Stephanie, I grew up just outside of Chicago (Oswego). So, I know that you won't have humidity problems in the summer. :)[/QUOTE]

No the summer will be perfect to let the baby roam the yard ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.