new rescue RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I went to this graduation party...never saw anything like it...these sisters had "coming out" parties...debutante balls..so you can imagine..One of the sisters came over to me and said that she heard I had turtles, and wanted to know if I wanted hers. She had it for 9 years and said it stays small, and doesn't get any bigger, and you don't have to feed it if you go on vacation. Of course I had to have a look...It was a 9 year old RES that was as big as a 50 cent coin. It was in a tiny, tiny ...maybe 1 gal plastic tank with about 1/2 inch of water. That's it...of course, no light...nothing. They fed if goldfish flakes...when they were home. Of course I took it. I tried putting it in a 10 gal tank, but it couldn't swim at all and became so stressed trying to get to the top for some air. So I made a little enclosure from one of my Christmas tree storage bins (like the one I used for Chewy and Pio, and Izzy....love those bins.) She is very friendly and her shell was a little soft when I got her, but is getting better now. She still hasn't grown, but I only have her a month. I never wanted another water turtle...but, who could say no to this girl. Nine years..poor little thing.This is the first time she was ever outside. If she makes it and grows I will set up a little 60 gal pond for her that I have. In the meantime I can't put her in too deep water yet.

007-11.jpg

006-14.jpg

004-10.jpg

inside in a little tub...so happy to bask...

001-6.jpg

006-15.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Awww what a cute little turtle! The poor little one is so lucky that you adopted her. Her enclosure is beautiful, she must be so happy. Now she is going to know what it is to live a happy turtle life!

M

Maggie Cummings

Terry, I have a RES that's about 9 years old and is bigger then a BIG dinner plate and probably weighs 5 or 6 pounds. I cannot believe that one you rescued is 9( Poor thing), I am so glad you took it. They are fun personable turtles, most bite pretty had but I betcha that one doesn't. Are you feeding it live food? Night crawlers or superworms, but I'm thinking he probably doesn't recognize worms as food. Slice zucchini and green leaf lettuce are favorites of my Scruffie, that little one of yours might like them too. What did you name it?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Years ago I used to do rescue, and up until last year I had a few Eastern Painted's. I re homed the last of them and converted my pond into a Koi pond. I really didn't want to get into water turtles again. Too much work for me. When I saw her, I knew she wasn't a baby. The mother told me they got her in China Town (where else) and she was the size of a quarter. Her daughter was 10 at the time and now she is going to be 20. So............She was in the same little plastic thing they bought her in. She will eat anything I give her and has no favorites...greens, veggies, worms, crickets...anything. It is so hard not to over fed her as she is very friendly and used to being held. If I put my hand in the little pond she will crawl right up into it. She is just so loveable and sweet. When I took her home that night I had to cry for her.......9 years with nothing.....no sun, no food....I can't believe she looks as good as she does. Shocking...We named her Abby...a favorite name around here.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It still amazes me how cruel people can be. So nonchalant about it. You don't have to feed IT if you go on vacation? Why the heck not? Does it eat water? Air?

Makes me want to ask those fools if they would want to go for a week without any food. So angry.....

I am thrilled that you have her. Keep us updated on her progress. I am so glad that there are still people like you who are willing to do what is right.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know first hand that RES are tough customers and survivors, but this guy takes the survivor of the year award. I honestly don't know how this guy made it but I am glad he is with someone who knows what he needs.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terry, what an inviting set up she has now. Some things are just meant to be. She's just so cute!!
NA

Status
Not open for further replies.