New Russian, Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle52988

5 Year Member
Hello all, I am new to the site! I would really appreciate some advice! My husband got me a russian tortoise for christmas and i am looking to upgrade her enclosure. Any reccomendations on something that isnt going to break my bank account?...also what sort of substrate is the best for a russian tortoise?..The pet store reccomended bed-a-beast (the bricks that you put in water and they expand) however it is horribly messy!! ANY advice is very much appreciated!!

Thank you

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
You can use a christmas tree tub or a rubbermaid under the bed storage bin. Both are pretty inexpensive. How big is he/she? What type of enclosure is he/she in now? If you aren't fond of bed a beast, you can try cypress mulch. It isn't as messy, and still holds moisture for humidity =]

michelle52988

5 Year Member
Thank you so much, I think im going to buy a large tote, or a couple totes and put them together.right now she is in a guinea pig cage, with the cage on the top and plstic bottom...it doesn't hold heat very well, She is about 5 inches.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle:

492244jhg2esg33b.gif

to the forum!!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Go to russiantortoise.org for some great advice. I overwinter my russians exactly as the site recommends and they are doing great. (I recommend an outside enclosure when the weather permits.)

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
michelle52988 said:
Thank you so much, I think im going to buy a large tote, or a couple totes and put them together.right now she is in a guinea pig cage, with the cage on the top and plstic bottom...it doesn't hold heat very well, She is about 5 inches.

That would work very well too. Heres a link to some pictures in the enclosure section, and someone did exactly what you're talking about. It turned out very nice.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8536.html

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you are looking for big I would suggest a bookcase, they are usually inexspensive, sometimes I find them at yard sales, and usually at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.