new shell growth or problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagedrocks

5 Year Member
Hello,

I recently acquired a female Russian tortoise. We think she is 3.5-4 years old. I noticed she has a much lighter colored band around the base of her shell. There also appears to be a chip. I've had her for a few months, and the new growth bands don't appear to be hardening and I am becoming very concerned.

I feel that I have her on a proper diet and proper lighting needs. I take away extra food she does not eat in twenty minutes. I don't know how she was cared for by the old owner. I've attached pictures. This doesn't appear normal to me. Can anyone advise me on weather or not she is healthy? If not, how do I go about correcting the problem?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/jagedrocks/IMG_0242.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/jagedrocks/IMG_0241.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/jagedrocks/IMG_0240.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/jagedrocks/IMG_0239.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) what do you feed her and what kind of lights are you using?

jagedrocks

5 Year Member
I feed Delilah things like dark leafed lettuce, kale, collard greens, and spring mixes. I avoid fruit all together, but sometimes when my mom comes to visit she will give her a strawberry top or a little bit of apple. I also feed her a very limited quantity of Mazuri pellets if I haven't been shopping yet. She has a Zoo Med mercury vapor bulb as a light source.

Do you have any thoughts on her shell condition? I'm pretty concerned about her health.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Is she acting normal? Healthy appetite? Active? It sound like you have her diet pretty much down. What are her temps and humidity like?

I don't see anything too out of the ordinary other than the previous shell injury as well as some old shell rot on the bottom in the last picture.

jagedrocks

5 Year Member
Delilah is super active and gobbles down whatever food I put in front of her. She has a very healthy appetite. She's very bright eyed. Her basking spot is around 80 degrees.

I don't give her calcium supplements. I thought that dark leafy greens were good for that. Should I be sprinkling her food with a calcium powder?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Sprinkling some calcium powder over food or placing a cuttlebone in the enclosure is recommended. A lot of us Russian keepers like to have a basking spot around 100 degrees actually. Can you lower the light making it closer to the floor?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I leave the food in my hatchlings enclosure and take it out after a few hours or just replace it because he/she likes to eat a little at a time, so I dont wanna place a eating time limit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jagedrocks:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

You have nothing to worry about. The lighter band that you're seeing is new, healthy growth. If you compare the new growth with her old shell, you can quickly see that the poor tortoise has had a pretty hard life. She's wild caught, and that's what the wild Russians look like. You hardly ever see a perfect wild caught (wc) Russian tortoise. Just keep doing what you're doing. Its seems to be working.

jagedrocks

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome! My name is Jessica and I live in the California Bay Area. I'll plan on lowering her lap or adding a second low powered bulb to get a little bit more heat.

I'm saddened to know she was wild caught. I assumed she had a bit of a rough go before she came to me, but I was hoping she wasnt taken from the wild. I hope she is happy in captivity, she seems to be doing well. Does anyone know how long it takes for the lighter portion to darken up? It will eventually, right?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The bands are new growth bands which often looks like those on your tortoise, especially tortoises that are kept almost exclusively indoors. I also believe that your tortoise is quite a bit older than 3.5-4 years.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my computer say the links are a malicious website and not rec to visit.. wow.. setttings high? or a problem with photobucket..
anyway...
sound like you get good advise..

jagedrocks

5 Year Member
I'm sorry about the notices you are getting in regards to the links. They are just direct links to my photobucket. I'm fairly certain there are no viruses lurking around there. I'm very glad to know it's normal. If she isn't 4 then how old do you think she is?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jagedrocks said:
Delilah is super active and gobbles down whatever food I put in front of her. She has a very healthy appetite. She's very bright eyed. Her basking spot is around 80 degrees.

I don't give her calcium supplements. I thought that dark leafy greens were good for that. Should I be sprinkling her food with a calcium powder?

Offer her cactus pads...great calcium source!
jagedrocks said:
I'm sorry about the notices you are getting in regards to the links. They are just direct links to my photobucket. I'm fairly certain there are no viruses lurking around there. I'm very glad to know it's normal. If she isn't 4 then how old do you think she is?

Hard to say...anywhere from (maybe) 8 to 30 yoa...otoh, with care and luck, she could outlive you (tortoises can live a very long time)!

Do you let her go outside?

firework

5 Year Member
The white grooves are normal "growth marks", it will turn darker later, the new growth is always lighter.

The new growth is also the place where "shell rot" will start if not having enough Ca, sunshine or the tort sits in wet substrates for prolonged time.

You probably will also find these growth marks on his plastron. Pay extra attention not letting it rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.