New Star Tortoise Owner

shahrularfiyan

5 Year Member
Hello guys. I just adopt a new star tortoise. Where I live the weather is quite hot. And i just use the sunlight that come through my apartment window. Issit not sufficient enough? And i notice like my tortoise is having swollen eyes. Can you guys tell by this pictures below. Any reccomendation of exo terra lighting. Cause i can only get exo terra lighting in my country. But not sure which one suits star tortoise. Thank you guys. View attachment 53986View attachment 53987

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as the window is open, the rays will come through, but they don't go through glass.

Your tortoise's eyes do look swollen. Does he ever open them? Do you soak the tortoise in warm water?

What are you offering him to eat? And does he eat?

Exo Terra is a good brand, however, besides the good bulbs that they sell, they also sell a bad one. If you have a coiled compact fluorescent bulb, you should not be using that. It causes pain and swelling in the tortoise's eyes.

shahrularfiyan

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
As long as the window is open, the rays will come through, but they don't go through glass.

Your tortoise's eyes do look swollen. Does he ever open them? Do you soak the tortoise in warm water?

What are you offering him to eat? And does he eat?

Exo Terra is a good brand, however, besides the good bulbs that they sell, they also sell a bad one. If you have a coiled compact fluorescent bulb, you should not be using that. It causes pain and swelling in the tortoise's eyes.

Ouhh mann.. I do soaked him in water but he quickly moved out of the bowl as soon as i put him in. For now he do open his eyes. But theres alot of blinking going on. I feed him lettuce, endives and carrot. And he do eat.
So i must provise him with good lighting and sunlight will do issit?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to put him into a tub or bowl that he can't climb out of when you soak him. And yes, they need the sun or the light in order to make vitamin d3, which makes the calcium work inside the body.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Be careful of the water temps. My star does not like the water to be over 92F
Over 94F and he acts panicky, trying to escape.
I keep it between 89 and 92F.
My redfoots are much more tolerant of a wider range of temperature.

Ann from CT