New Star Tortoise Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
I have Red Eared Sliders (too many!) and Malayan Box (8)... i have just got an Indian Star Tortoise.

I have set him/her up in a big tub, with UVB, lots of hides, shallow water, food, and right near a window (cos i keep it inside).

What i want to know is since i got him 3 days ago... he really just sits and hides in the corner... is this normal behaviour or just adjustment?

Do i maybe need another?

ANy tips would be great.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
tjm1302 said:
I have Red Eared Sliders (too many!) and Malayan Box (8)... i have just got an Indian Star Tortoise.

I have set him/her up in a big tub, with UVB, lots of hides, shallow water, food, and right near a window (cos i keep it inside).

What i want to know is since i got him 3 days ago... he really just sits and hides in the corner... is this normal behaviour or just adjustment?

Do i maybe need another?

ANy tips would be great.

I am very worried about my STAR TORTOISE... any advice would be helpful. He is still only hiding in the corner. I put him in the sun and he hides. I put him near the food and he goes and hides. I put him in the water and he goes and hides. Is this normal???

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I am new to stars too, but I can tell you that they are shy tortoises. They are not at all like my other tortoises who are very outgoing. What are your temps? Has he eaten anything? Have you soaked him since bringing him home?

samstar

5 Year Member
Is it eating? Sometimes it can take up to a month for them to get used to their new enclosure. Also check its feces for worms. Mine eats and goes right back into hsi hut. Once in a while I catch him soaking in his water dish.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
samstar said:
Is it eating? Sometimes it can take up to a month for them to get used to their new enclosure. Also check its feces for worms. Mine eats and goes right back into hsi hut. Once in a while I catch him soaking in his water dish.

He was eating for the first 2 days... now he barely touches his food. I am feeding him the grasses/weeds - and now trying lime leaves and chye sim.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Can you post pictures of him, and the enclosure? What are his temps? Substrate?

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:

How do i add photos... I put in the new attachment and it just freezes.

Meg90 said:

how do i add photos?

tjm1302 said:
Meg90 said:

How do i add photos... I put in the new attachment and it just freezes.

Meg90 said:
[/quote

aaarrrgggghhhh.... it wont work. Is there another way i can show you the photos? I am really worried about him.

I have him set up on fake grass, with 2 hides... a fake plant which is usually where he is hiding. A small water bowl. RIght by the window so he gets lots of direct sunlight. I put him outside for 1 hr per day.

The room is about 32 degrees average. I also have a UV light that is for reptiles at night.

Just need to know is it just settling or is there something i am doing wrong???

Attachments

• P150210_14.38.JPG
    P150210_14.38.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 60

tjm1302

5 Year Member
it is now early evening and he still hasn't eaten anything today. I just hope he is ok. I think i will try to get another one on Wednesday to keep him company. But any other advice please post and i will check in .. first thing tomorrow morning.

samstar

5 Year Member
tjm1302 said:
it is now early evening and he still hasn't eaten anything today. I just hope he is ok. I think i will try to get another one on Wednesday to keep him company. But any other advice please post and i will check in .. first thing tomorrow morning.

Did you try feeding it hibiscus? They love hibiscus.
Also you dont want sunlight comming in through a window as it will get much hotter with glass and can hurt your tort. What you want is natural unfiltered sunlight. Also getting another star will not help, stars dont need company from what I have been reading up. You have to sort out his health issues first by getting his feces checked and take it from there.
What is the basking spot temp and whats the temp on the cold side(on the other end of your enclosure)? 32-35 decgrees celcius shoudl be his basking spot, some people go up to 40 degrees celcius and let the tort decide from themselves how close it wnats to get to the basking spot. There are a lot of variables involved but first thing first GET HIS FECES TESTED. is this feces watery or hard? Is his plastron hard or soft?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about caring for Star tortoises, however, there are some things that cross the species lines.

Your tortoise isn't warm enough. A tortoise has to be able to warm his body up to AT LEAST 80 degrees (26.7c) or he won't eat. If a tortoise isn't warm enough, the food just sits in his stomach and he can't digest it. They know this, so they don't eat unless they can get warm.

You say your average room temperature is 32c (90f) and that's pretty warm, however, the tortoise needs a spot in his habitat that he can go to and sit "in the sun." By that, I mean a light that shines down on a spot on the floor where it will be about 100-110 (38-43c). He will then sit in that spot until his core temperature is up where he needs it in order to eat.

About the sun shining in the window. The glass effectively filters out the UV rays that the tortoise requires in order to make his calcium work in his body. So the only thing happening by the window is if its cold outside, cold is bouncing off the window into your habitat.

I think it would be best if you could afford to buy a large plastic tub similar to this:

http://www.usphome.com/catalog/prod...SPlastic&category_name=30805&product_id=34441

and set your tortoise up in a regular habitat with substrate and walls. It will be easier to heat than what you are using now.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
thank you for the responses. I have been watching him all night, and he has not moved at all. As for his feces... there hasn't been any. That is why i am so worried. He has been weeing, but no feces to note.
I am setting him up in a different setting this am, before work and will let you know.

Any tips on checking the feces - when he does? I am in a difficult location here and vets are something we just dont really have access to. If he does have worms what is the next step? same like dogs and cats?

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Thank you to all. I now have her outside all day... as i live in a humid climate. Then inside at night. I bought Hibiscus plants and she LOVES them. I have her in a large tub, with the same substrate and set up..... She is happy, wondering around, eating, drinking, and doing everything fine. I am so glad she is fine. Was really worried last night.
Now just awaiting the arrival of a new Slider being donated tonight. I will post photos of my sweeties tomorrow.

samstar

5 Year Member
tjm1302 said:
Thank you to all. I now have her outside all day... as i live in a humid climate. Then inside at night. I bought Hibiscus plants and she LOVES them. I have her in a large tub, with the same substrate and set up..... She is happy, wondering around, eating, drinking, and doing everything fine. I am so glad she is fine. Was really worried last night.
Now just awaiting the arrival of a new Slider being donated tonight. I will post photos of my sweeties tomorrow.

Good news! Way to go, now get her eating the greens and as soon as it poops, take the feces to the vet to check for worms right away. Do note that you cannot mix Stars with other tortoises/turtles. You sound like your from Malaysia?

tjm1302

5 Year Member
I am Australia but living in an isolated part of Borneo.
Unfortunately there are no vets anywhere near me. Do you know if there is any way to check the feces myself. Otherwise I just dont know what I can do about that one.
She is nicely set up on her own and will not be mixed with the others. I have learnt so much about Starfire from this site, however i knew i couldn't mix her before i even got her home.
Thanks again for everything.'
(oops have to change my signature... got a new Slider donated last night!!!!)

Starry night

5 Year Member
Wow. I want to come to Borneo. Chill with some orangutans. I'm surprised that you get internet in that isolation. Just keep the star warm and he should do fine and start eating grasses outside and get some kind of calcium supplement for him if you can. That's very important for tortoises.

samstar

5 Year Member
tjm1302 said:
I am Australia but living in an isolated part of Borneo.
Unfortunately there are no vets anywhere near me. Do you know if there is any way to check the feces myself. Otherwise I just dont know what I can do about that one.
She is nicely set up on her own and will not be mixed with the others. I have learnt so much about Starfire from this site, however i knew i couldn't mix her before i even got her home.
Thanks again for everything.'
(oops have to change my signature... got a new Slider donated last night!!!!)

Feed it pumpkin seeds grinded in it's food once every 2 weeks, it helps get rid of worms if any, good luck!

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Well, i couldn't resist and went and got another Star Tort to keep StarFire company. So we now have Sapphire.
P190210_20.38.JPG
They are now set up in a large glass aquarium, with reptile carpet, hides, plants, and a small water bowl. I also have a UVB light for them.
StarFire has completely settled in now. He (i think) wonders around in the morning, eats well, goes to the water himself, and basks under the light.
Sapphire is however showing the same problems Starfire did when he arrived. She (i think) is sleeping a lot, not wondering, not eating. I hope this is the same settling in as her friend.

On a different note i have been reading about RNS and Mycroplasma... is there anything I will be able to do if mine get these - since i do not have access to a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

samstar

5 Year Member
tjm1302 said:
Well, i couldn't resist and went and got another Star Tort to keep StarFire company. So we now have Sapphire.

They are now set up in a large glass aquarium, with reptile carpet, hides, plants, and a small water bowl. I also have a UVB light for them.
StarFire has completely settled in now. He (i think) wonders around in the morning, eats well, goes to the water himself, and basks under the light.
Sapphire is however showing the same problems Starfire did when he arrived. She (i think) is sleeping a lot, not wondering, not eating. I hope this is the same settling in as her friend.

On a different note i have been reading about RNS and Mycroplasma... is there anything I will be able to do if mine get these - since i do not have access to a vet.

Congrats! Highly advisable not to keep Torts in glass tanks.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Looking at your pics it looks like your UVB is very close to your torts. What is the temp directly under your UVB??

Glass tanks are not the first enclosure you would pick to house your torts in (unless it is a redfoot or other similar species) I guess it is doable if you have the perfect environment and are able to maintain the correct temps high end and low end, etc.

Good luck with your Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.