new indian star tortoise owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
philippines
hmm i was just woundering how long will it take for my indian star tortoise to warm up to me.. hes male 4 inch dont know how old he is but from my research its approx 1-2 years old maybe..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am unfamiliar with the dispositions of the Star tortoises, however, in my experience with other types of tortoise, each one has their own personality and each one is different as to how soon they accept you as the food god and realize you're not going to hurt them. You just have to be patient and gentle. The tortoise will eventually come around. But, I have a couple leopard tortoises that I've had for a very long time and they still draw all the way up inside their shells when the see me.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Some breeds are more friendly than others. From the limited amount that I know about Indian Stars, I have read they are one of the more shy breeds. But yes, the more contact you make and the more they associate you with food, the more of your tort you will see. The age isn't as important as how long you've had it. How long have you had the tort? It does take time for them to settle in. After a couple years my opinion is not much more change in shyness would happen. To try and create more of a bond, you can try hand feeding the tort. If you have not done this before, the safer they feel (near a hide and in their enclosure with their feet on the ground) and more hungry they are, the more likely they are to want to take a bite. Just beware that some torts will bite, not differentiating finger from food. When they get bigger they can draw blood as the beak is sharp. Best wishes.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Nothing much to add. 2 of my Stars are not shy, but one is very very shy. He will hide and close his eyes tightly when he sees me :( and will only feed when I walk away :(

It's a personality thing. Yes and some do bite out of curiousity

zekie

5 Year Member
philippines
well he does thend to be a little lazy sometimes he just bask sleep and eat ahahaha.. only had him for a couple of weeks so no hurry. hope hes not too shy. tnx guys

Status
Not open for further replies.