New Sulcata owner

MFekete

just recently adopted an eight week old Sulcata. My question is at this age do they have very big appetites? I try feeding him and he eats a small piece of romaine lettuce and then he acts like he is not interested in food anymore. Is this common? Am I not feeding the right stuff?? U have tried kale squash? He seems to also enjoy sleeping a lot. Please help

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the Forum. Baby sulcata do have healthy appetites. There are a couple of reasons that they wouldn't. First is stress. The stress could be that they are not fully acclimated to their new environment, they don't feel secure, or more likely they are unable to properly regulate their core temperature. Just to make you worry a little I'll tell you that parasites can also be a factor. The thing to do is to get the environment under control, providing the correct temperatures, humidity, and lighting with a proper hiding place. Then your baby will eat.

Here is a thread that explains in more detail how one should go about doing this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

PlatinumTortoise

I wouldn't worry, I would say keep a decent amount of food for him and watch his appetite, all Tortoises have different appetites anyways... As long as he's not eating to little!

He should be okay as long as other factors such as humidity, basking temperatures and UV light are okay... He should be good....

IF you are really worried, take him to the vet

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
As Dizisdalife said, make sure to read the care sheets in the sulcata section. Post photos and more info about your set up and that'll help you get the advice you need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
just recently adopted an eight week old Sulcata. My question is at this age do they have very big appetites? I try feeding him and he eats a small piece of romaine lettuce and then he acts like he is not interested in food anymore. Is this common? Am I not feeding the right stuff?? U have tried kale squash? He seems to also enjoy sleeping a lot. Please help

We need to know more about how you are housing the new baby. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve those temps? UV bulb? What type? Are you soaking daily? What substrate? Was this baby started wet or dry? Etc...

A pic of the enclosure would help too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He's probably just settling in, becoming accustomed to his new surrounds and understanding it's his territory, there are no threats and you are not about to eat him.
Is he eating now?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy is a picky little guy, if he likes it he will scarf it down ! Mazuri pellets and kale are his favs . Just bought these "organic micro greens" I thought he would love them, but all he loved was tromping through them ! :rolleyes: Crunched up a pellet, got it wet and sprinkled it over the top, he ate a few, I think they got stuck in his beak while trying to pick out the pieces of pellet ! :D