New to Forum

Elvis'mom

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
:)Hi all I am the proud mom of a Hermann tortoise his name is Elvis he is 9 years old and an amazing boy. We just adore him and he is definatly part of our herd in every way. We have been asked to rescue a Russian tort. I would have to do a bunch of research on it before I decide anything but I'm wondering if Elvis would hate it. I don't know its gender yet. All I know is the Russian has been neglected and is probably not in great health and I know there would be a quarantine time and a full on vet check. If I get this other tort he would be roomates with Elvis and I don't know if this is a smart idea ... I just can't leave this poor tort in the environment he is in, why do people get pets like this and not take care of them or do the research before hand?

nicoleann2214

NY
:)Hi all I am the proud mom of a Hermann tortoise his name is Elvis he is 9 years old and an amazing boy. We just adore him and he is definatly part of our herd in every way. We have been asked to rescue a Russian tort. I would have to do a bunch of research on it before I decide anything but I'm wondering if Elvis would hate it. I don't know its gender yet. All I know is the Russian has been neglected and is probably not in great health and I know there would be a quarantine time and a full on vet check. If I get this other tort he would be roomates with Elvis and I don't know if this is a smart idea ... I just can't leave this poor tort in the environment he is in, why do people get pets like this and not take care of them or do the research before hand?
Hi welcome! It’s never safe to house two different species together. Russians can be very territorial, and need quite a bit of space. @Tom is very intelligent and can help you out as needed along with other wonderful members. ???

Elvis'mom

New Hampshire
Hi welcome! It’s never safe to house two different species together. Russians can be very territorial, and need quite a bit of space. @Tom is very intelligent and can help you out as needed along with other wonderful members. ???
Thank you I was definitely wondering about that, Elvis has a lot of room but I wasn't sure about him sharing the space. I just don't know if I have the space for them to have separate spaces. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do I want to save this little Russian so bad but I have to so it right.

nicoleann2214

NY
Thank you I was definitely wondering about that, Elvis has a lot of room but I wasn't sure about him sharing the space. I just don't know if I have the space for them to have separate spaces. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do I want to save this little Russian so bad but I have to so it right.
Are you willing to buy or build an enclosure? I have a grow tent I use and it’s pretty cheap depending on the sizes. Me and a few other members use them for our torts and they were very well. @Srmcclure has some photos of hers I’m sure she’d love to share.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hello and welcome! You could also do what I do and stack them. Heres what I mean ? my brother made me that stand crazy easy and now there is no extra floor space taken up with 2 enclosures! We can definitely help if you want to go this route. Just like she said, they can't go together. I totally get wanted to help that baby though if he needs it
20200802_160514.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome ,Russians need at least a 4' x 8' enclosure.
That's the minimum.

Elvis'mom

New Hampshire
Are you willing to buy or build an enclosure? I have a grow tent I use and it’s pretty cheap depending on the sizes. Me and a few other members use them for our torts and they were very well. @Srmcclure has some photos of hers I’m sure she’d love to share.
Would grow tents be enough to separate them? They have a smaller enclosure that would come with him but I'm worried (as I have yet to see it) that it is too small for him/her. Do Russians need lots of space? Again I apologize I have yet to do proper research as this came up today.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Would grow tents be enough to separate them? They have a smaller enclosure that would come with him but I'm worried (as I have yet to see it) that it is too small for him/her. Do Russians need lots of space? Again I apologize I have yet to do proper research as this came up today.
Yes, like stated in the post above they need 4ftx8ft as they are very active. My grow tents are 3ftx6ft, so a little small for a full grown Russian, but they may come in that size if you dig a bit. You could also make one!

Here is the caresheet on them so you can make sure you can give him what he needs and make the best decision

Elvis'mom

New Hampshire
Yes, like stated in the post above they need 4ftx8ft as they are very active. My grow tents are 3ftx6ft, so a little small for a full grown Russian, but they may come in that size if you dig a bit. You could also make one!

Here is the caresheet on them so you can make sure you can give him what he needs and make the best decision

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge.

Elvis'mom

New Hampshire
Hello and welcome! You could also do what I do and stack them. Heres what I mean ? my brother made me that stand crazy easy and now there is no extra floor space taken up with 2 enclosures! We can definitely help if you want to go this route. Just like she said, they can't go together. I totally get wanted to help that baby though if he needs it
View attachment 310768
Wow that is pretty cool. Do you have 2 of different torts? Do they ever hang together?