New to list and a Question on Aisian Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Willis

5 Year Member
Hi there! My name is Ginger and I live in Naples, Florida. I currently have a turtle and tortise enclosure with a pond a variety of turtles. They are all very unique and are fun to have.

I do have a question tho.. I have a pair of Asian Box Turtles. I saw them mating a week or so ago. Today my daughter noticed her digging a nest. She laid eggs in there and has neatly covered them up. I need to dig them up and incubate them as between the heavy rains and the fire ants here in south florida, they dont really stand a chance. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and thank you for letting me join your forum.

Ginger:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ginger:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I use the Little Giant Bird Brooder. It costs around $50 at feed stores, or you can buy it online. You carefully dig up the eggs and don't change their orientation. You aren't supposed to turn tortoise eggs like you do for bird eggs. I like to keep my temp in the incubator around 87 degrees, but I don't know what's a good temp for the Asian turtle.

Also, when the eggs are laid, they are coated with a protective layer of "slime" and you shouldn't wash that off.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yvonne is it the Little Giant Bird incubator? Could you post a picture of it on line where you buy it? I might need this soon...not this year maybe next.

Ginger Willis

5 Year Member
Thanks! I was also reading that you can use vermiculite and a plastic shoebox and put it where it can stay warm.. Have you ever tried that? Staying warm is no problem here. Also this looks to be the biggest box turtle egg I have ever seen! I watched her lay it and try to cover it.

Thanks for all your help!:tort:

I use the Little Giant Bird Brooder. It costs around $50 at feed stores, or you can buy it online. You carefully dig up the eggs and don't change their orientation. You aren't supposed to turn tortoise eggs like you do for bird eggs. I like to keep my temp in the incubator around 87 degrees, but I don't know what's a good temp for the Asian turtle.

Also, when the eggs are laid, they are coated with a protective layer of "slime" and you shouldn't wash that off.
[/quote]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
I used to have one many many years ago but a raccoon or some other creature carried it away, I liked the litte guy they were awesome I am glad you got some eggs, maybe if they hatch you will sell me one when they do? no pressure just asking.

I used to use the little giant when I had lots and lots of birds, when my russian or other species eventually lay I will use it again mainly because aldabraman uses them and I figure if they are good enough for aldabs then they are good enough for other species.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, We are neighbors, at least the same town, lol. I can say that we get ours from Sutherland Feed Store, they always have them on the shelf, Sutherlands telephone number is 353-3808.

Ginger Willis

5 Year Member
I am told by some to use equal parts spagam, pete moss and vermiculite in a plastic shoebox. Put where temp are not too cold, such as on the top of the fridge and they will do fine.. Anyone have any luck with this? For now they are still in the ground.

Ginger

Welcome, We are neighbors, at least the same town, lol. I can say that we get ours from Sutherland Feed Store, they always have them on the shelf, Sutherlands telephone number is 353-3808.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have hatched box turtle eggs the way you are asking about...on a shelf in the back bedroom closet where the air conditioning doesn't reach...in a plastic tub on damp potting soil. Trouble with that is you tend to forget about it and then you forget to keep them moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.