new to site

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
How do I make it wetter?

You might need to change out your substrate for something that doesn't have such big pieces. Then you keep the substrate moist. You can pour some water on it and mix it in. That plus the heat will create the humidity you need. Your enclosure is completely covered, right?

You may not be able to notice the signs of fighting. Bullying in tortoises can occur without you ever noticing it. If you see them cuddling, that isn't a sign of affection. One of them is trying to push the other one out of the way. If one of them isn't eating and the other one is, it is most likely due to the tort feeling uncomfortable and unsafe.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't know what zoomed forest floor consists of, but many use coco coir.
Cypress mulch and orchid bark are also good.
And I agree that 'cuddling' is actually a sign of bullying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To make it more humid you pour water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand until it's all moist.

You said you would 'watch for fighting.' You hardly ever see it. It's all mental. The dominant tortoise tells the more submissive tortoise to get out of the territory. Being all closed in, he can't get out so he tries to stay hidden, stops eating and generally just tries to stay out of the dominant tortoise's way.

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
To make it more humid you pour water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand until it's all moist.

You said you would 'watch for fighting.' You hardly ever see it. It's all mental. The dominant tortoise tells the more submissive tortoise to get out of the territory. Being all closed in, he can't get out so he tries to stay hidden, stops eating and generally just tries to stay out of the dominant tortoise's way.
What do I do? Will it get better when they get big or worse?

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
What do I need to keep humidity at? I feel totally screwed right now. Only want what's best for these sweet babies. Please help me get back on track!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What do I need to keep humidity at? I feel totally screwed right now. Only want what's best for these sweet babies. Please help me get back on track!!
We will help all we can.
Please read the threads I posted for you at the start of this thread carefully.
Most of what you need to know is in there.
Your humidity needs to be 80% at least and the temperature also 80 plus.
Cold and damp is bad, hot and moist good.
See also http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Thank you I will read them. I will make a separate box for one tomorrow and get more heat lights. I was told to use two uvb lights and one heat emitter. Is that right or wrong? I will do all I can to get the sick one healthy then find he/she a good home. I feel awful right now!!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you I will read them. I will make a separate box for one tomorrow and get more heat lights. I was told to use two uvb lights and one heat emitter. Is that right or wrong? I will do all I can to get the sick one healthy then find he/she a good home. I feel awful right now!!
Don't fret. You didn't know. I doubt you need 2 uvb lights for one enclosure. Read the posted threads and also look at the Enclosures thread for ideas. There are different choices for lights and heat. Don't get a red bulb or a coiled bulb. A ceramic heat emitter provides heat without light so you can leave it on all night long after you turn off the uvb. Yvonne has put two enclosures side by side so they can share lights.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't feel bad.
We all made mistakes to begin.
You are here now, doing your best for your torts and that is commendable.

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Don't feel bad.
We all made mistakes to begin.
You are here now, doing your best for your torts and that is commendable.
Don't fret. You didn't know. I doubt you need 2 uvb lights for one enclosure. Read the posted threads and also look at the Enclosures thread for ideas. There are different choices for lights and heat. Don't get a red bulb or a coiled bulb. A ceramic heat emitter provides heat without light so you can leave it on all night long after you turn off the uvb. Yvonne has put two enclosures side by side so they can share lights.
Can you please resend the threads. I don't know how to pull them back up on this site

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just click 'Prev' (or previous) or the figure 1 where it says Page which appears above your avatar when you go to type in your reply.
This will take you to the beginning and then just scroll up or down to get to the info you need.

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Do you have sulcata?
Ok tidgys dad. I have a 40 gallon glass aquarium. It did not have a lid. I just covered it with foil I have about 4" of zoomed forest floor. I had not been wetting it r/t guy I bought from said sulcata need dry 35% humidity. So if I moisten the bedding should I put thermometer/humidity check at bedding level? And should that read 80% and approx. 85-90 degrees? And what about nite time temps?

Lori lawson

Desert hot springs,ca
Ok tidgys dad. I have a 40 gallon glass aquarium. It did not have a lid. I just covered it with foil I have about 4" of zoomed forest floor. I had not been wetting it r/t guy I bought from said sulcata need dry 35% humidity. So if I moisten the bedding should I put thermometer/humidity check at bedding level? And should that read 80% and approx. 85-90 degrees? And what about nite time temps?
I am buying coco coir and cypress mulch for the other tort that I will seperate

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, temperatures and humidity should be measured at substrate/tortoise level.
If you read the care sheets the temp and humidity questions are answered there.
In the wild sulcatas hatch in the wet season and in the summer spend a lot of time in humid burrows.
Outdated information suggests rearing them dry, but modern experiment, research and experience suggests this is bad and a humid approach is better.
You do not need to but all three substrates, some mix, but some say this is not good.
I only use coco coir , but my experience is with Greek torts, though much of the care is the same.
You can, of course, experiment and see what works best for you and your torts.