New to the forum

Jofie1969

Hi my name is Barbi I just got an African Sulcata today. It hatched on July 1st I named it Stanley. Here is a picture of my baby...isn't he cute! I live in Kentucky but grew up in New Jersey I joined the military when I was 25, moved to Germany met my husband had three sons, then after 5 years in German we moved to Kentucky. Both my husband and I retired from the army. I'm a nurse now. I love animals I have 6 dogs 3 cats a fancy goldfish and now Stanley. I've had water turtles in the past but this is my first tortoise. I'm happy to be apart of this forum.20160726_135211.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. Stanley is very cute. Do his eyes open normally?

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Hi my name is Barbi I just got an African Sulcata today. It hatched on July 1st I named it Stanley. Here is a picture of my baby...isn't he cute! I live in Kentucky but grew up in New Jersey I joined the military when I was 25, moved to Germany met my husband had three sons, then after 5 years in German we moved to Kentucky. Both my husband and I retired from the army. I'm a nurse now. I love animals I have 6 dogs 3 cats a fancy goldfish and now Stanley. I've had water turtles in the past but this is my first tortoise. I'm happy to be apart of this forum.View attachment 181509

Hello & Welcome!
Stanley is just adorable!!! :<3:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum. You have a cute little tort. GOD bless.

Have you dealt with torts before? Am asking because you mentioned that you love animals. In case you have not, please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and give your tort daily soaks in warm water. What about a pic of your tort's enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Barbi!

Seeing a baby tortoise being held (disturbed) and with his eyes closed is a bit troubling. Normally, when disturbed, tortoises have their eyes wide open.

Jofie1969

Welcome to the forum. You have a cute little tort. GOD bless.

Have you dealt with torts before? Am asking because you mentioned that you love animals. In case you have not, please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and give your tort daily soaks in warm water. What about a pic of your tort's enclosure?
Right now we have him in an Aquarium with a heat a uv and a red light my husband is buildings a terrarium with slow moving water...with grass to grow and I am fond of orchid mantis...so I will be putting some in with Stanley I just bought a Hibiscus plant and gave him (we call him a boy until we know for sure...if he turns out to be a girl she will be a Stella.) Stanley enjoying his first flower were getting ready to put him in the tub after I clean it so there isn't any soap residue!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
His eyes do open I forgot to turn off the flash so he shut his eyes
Welcome to the forum. I visit northern Kentucky and Louisville almost once a year or so. I kind of like your state. It's very pretty down there.

My sulcata is six or seven months old now. This site has been a tremendous help. If you follow the advice of those here it will greatly increase your chances of having a healthy thriving tortoise.