New to tortoise from oregon

Munakmama

Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, Oregon
Hello all. I'm rather new to tortoises. Still researching and trying to decide what tortoises would be best for my area and life.

I have always liked tortoise and turtles(along with almost all animals) an since I am now allergic to all things furry (and feathered...) I was trying to find a pet I can dedicate to and enjoy with my son as he grows. I decided on torts =)

I prefer the smaller breeds (smaller the better) we are in the process of buying our first house, so I'm thinking about getting one (or a few) next spring/summer. When I figure out what breed I would like, and time to get whatever setup they need going or built. =) and find somewhere to buy the lil torts. I kind of like the idea of getting babies and watching them grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

One thing to bear in mind when thinking about how many you want...well, two things:

1. Never mix species. Tortoises that wouldn't ordinarily meet each other in the wild have different micro organisms inside them and they might make each other sick or even dead
2. Tortoises are solitary and will fight to chase other tortoises out of their territory.

Many of us have more than one tortoise. We do this by keeping them in large, well-planted outdoor habitats, or by keeping each tortoise in a separate habitat.

As you gain more experience, and learn more about your tortoises, you can try experimenting with mixing species or having a pair or a group of tortoises together, but as a new keeper, it's better if you start out with rules #1 and 2.

Munakmama

Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I planned on only having one species. Once I figure out what kind of lil guy to get. I am thinking I will probably start out with just one tort. Unless I can figure out a large setup outside for my area. We get a lot of rain... sometimes snow but not always (last yr we didnt, or maybe a lil but never stuck. One yr we got tons though, and an ice storm) so I'd need a heated set up out there for those colder months.

I'm thinking smaller cuz I can bring them into an indoor in closer if needed.

I have a friend with a Russian tortoise, and he's lots of fun (well she said it's a he but he's kinda big for a boy I would think... now from reading more on them)

I am thinking Russian or something similar sized or smaller.
Something that will be friendly with my little boy. He won't be handling it for a while, (he would only be a yr old when I got the baby, so looking only... until he's older and understands more, to wash his hands well before and after) but I also have step sons that visit sometimes. Whom all know how to handle animals carefully and wash hands.

My friends tort is very friendly, but I'm still deciding what would be a good choice for us.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Will you go for a hatchling or an older rescue?
If you go for babies I believe they will have to be kept inside for the first couple of years with only short supervised time outside when it's warm enough.
There are some great caresheets here for the different species which will tell you what they each need in the way of temps humidity diet etc and help you decide which tort is most suited to your circumstances.
Hope you find something suitable.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
First things first here…welcome to the Forum! Well done you wanting to do research first to get things correct rather than having to wait for a disaster or illness to happen. My hat is off to you for that.
Now other fun thoughts. Have you looked at box turtles yet? Although I've not had one for years, they tend to be Russian tortoise size and typically they come in some pretty patterns and colors. They also are omnivorous which helps with feeding them a greater verity of foods.
I live east of Silverton, Oregon which is east of Salem, Oregon. Whereabouts are you? There are active Forum members from Eugene on up to north of Spokane and locations all over in between.
Keep reading here on the Forum and ask questions here as well. This is the best location on the Internet Machine to find good, current information on turtles and tortoises from active keepers wanting for most to help give the shelled little ones a good chance at a healthy life.

Munakmama

Eugene, Oregon
Thanks.

An though I haven't decided if I will get a baby or older fella. I do like idea of baby, but it will more likely come down to what idea choose and is available to me.

I hadn't thought about box turtles, or seen them before actualy. I might look into it. Though I kind of like the idea of not needing to have a big water tank (filtration and smelly water... I love fish but tend to stick to smaller tanks.)

I'm ok with making an indoor enclosed for a baby tort until he/she is big enough to go into an outdoor one.

I kinda wish western hermenn torts were more common. Very pretty, and small. But seems they aren't very easy to get a hold of. (Prolly very spendy if you do)

Oh, and I'm in eugene. Though family in portland and klamath falls. So once in a while I travel through those areas.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My kids all live down in the "Spring-tucky" area. Box turtles don't need the water tank of a water turtle. They are more a forest turtle than a pond or stream/river turtle.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Welcome from another Eugene-ian. I have two red footed tortoises. They aren't small, but they sure are friendly. There is a store on 11th and Chambers with a variety of torts that you can meet face to face. The guy who owns it is very personable and nice, though I recommend checking care sheets against anything you learn from just one pet store employee.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Would this be, and in now way is this an endorsement, the pet shop, Zany Zoo ?

Actually it's a newer place called Reptile Universe. It's right across from Dutch Bros so I grab a coffee and then go look at the critters. He frequently have hatchling RF's and Sullies as well as russians, hermans, pancakes, etc.

I do have some concerns about his hatchlings being a bit dry, but otherwise he seems far better off than Zany Zoo or Petco.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Munakmama here are some pictures of box turtles for you…ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444526271.168999.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444526291.612451.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444526313.657281.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444526345.472269.jpg
And here is a link you can follow to find lots of pictures of the different species of box turtles available, again, please understand that in no way do I indorse any organization other than ones I am directly involved with.

http://www.arkive.org/common-box-turtle/terrapene-carolina/

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Good luck with whatever tort you choose.;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Howdy, I'm Oregonian too!

I keep a single leopard. It's not too hard to just keep the 1 warm all year long but I'm glad I don't have multiples or anything bigger!

Enjoy your research into which species you like.
And btw, my boys were 2 and 3 years old when I first brought my tortoise home. ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
And now they are???

5 and 6 :)

My kids enjoy watching him eat the grass and hand picking him dandelions. At 7lbs he's too heavy for them to safely care around but when he was smaller they'd happily relocate him for me if needed.

To the OP:
Good manners, a respect for living things and proper hygiene will make your future tortoise and your son be just fine together ;)

Munakmama

Eugene, Oregon
Thanks so much everyone (weird I wasn't getting notifications of replies)
I'm happy for the infos.

If been pretty much reading non stop. Kind of a stressful time in my life with all the moving and stuff, so research always helps me get out of my head.

I'm kind of leaning towards hermanns, they are really pretty, though I wish western hermanns were easier to get, they still aren't that big. I forgot my friend mentioned that reptile store, weekend destination set!

I'm excited to see if they have any hermanns I can see in person. The torts I've seen most are russians.